Compatible species with a mostly African cichlid tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattklc801

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 240 gal tank setup and running. The ph is at about 7.4 no ammonia no nitrites and nitrates are at 20-30 ppm.

I have 7 African species and 3 blood reds. I would like to start adding more to my tank, I want to keep it African/old world species and need a clean up crew next. What species should I get? I heard synodontis sp are compatible with cichlids.

The stores around me are limited to the big box stores and a little pet shop that I'm not sure how clean they are...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are the "7 African species" mbuna?

If so then yes they would be compatible with the smaller synos. Just be careful because some of them get really big.

You many need to order them and have them shipped to you.

I think they are mbuna. I get lost with all of the mbuna, Malawi, tanganika, and all of the other locale terms. If what I have been told is correct, I have 3 zebras, a bumblebee an auratus, a milomo, and a Kenyii. So I don't knowing they are mbuna or not.

I know that cichlid tanks should stay cichlids. I am just wondering if there are any other compatible fish species to accentuate and add variety to the tank.

Thanks for all of the help!

You have 240 gal setup? Here's my question - Can I have it!? Haha! Soooo jealous! Sorry I had nothing real to contribute. ^.^

❤️ Invertebrates
Electric Blue Crayfish | CPO Crayfish | Shrimp

What about a group of Synodontis petricola?

If I got some of the petricola would I still need to get a plecostomus or something else to take care of algae?

You have 240 gal setup? Here's my question - Can I have it!? Haha! Soooo jealous! Sorry I had nothing real to contribute. ^.^

❤️ Invertebrates

Haha. Nope. I just bought it used from someone last weekend and it is my DREAM tank!

Haha. Nope. I just bought it used from someone last weekend and it is my DREAM tank!

Congratulations!!!! Please post pictures when it is established!

❤️ Invertebrates

If I got some of the petricola would I still need to get a plecostomus or something else to take care of algae?

Synodontis are not algae eaters.

Plecos often cannot make it in an African tank - they get their eyes pecked out.

Where there is water, you'll find me in it, on it or staring at it

Do you have a problem with algae?

I usually use nerite snails in AfRican tanks.

Not really. I just don't want it to become a problem. This may be a stupid question, but will the snails have a problem with the substrate being sand?

Not really. I just don't want it to become a problem. This may be a stupid question, but will the snails have a problem with the substrate being sand?

My African tanks didn't always get algae. I would wait and make sure it is an issue before getting algae eaters. I have kept nerites in tanks with sand substrate without issue.

Same here - no problem with sand and nerites. And I wholly agree - don't get an algae eater until you have algae. It's not a forgone conclusion that you will.

There is algae in the tank on some of the rocks and stuff. It's not bad. I just don't want it to get worse. The tank was up and running for a number of years before we got it. When I moved it I kept the sand wet and the filters haven't been touched. I think I kept a lot of the microscopic inhabitants alive during the move. All of the water tests I have done haven't shown any ammonia or nitrites and the nitrates are between 20-40 ppm. I just don't want to mess anything up?

I think some algae makes the tank look more natural, especially on rocks and things that would naturally have algae growing on them.

What do you guys think about African viper shrimp? I see those for sale On Liveaquaria. Do malawi's do good with inverts?

Back
Top Bottom