Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Confused with sumps??

Ok I have a 75 gallon tank with an Oscar. I have 2 HOB filters and 1Canister filter. I never thought about making a sump untill I was watching thar tv show "Tanked" and my mom brought up "Can you make a sump" and I was like "I have no idea". So that's why I came here and why I'm asking these questions. First of all- What is a sump?? I know its like a smaller tank under a bigger tank but what does a sump do for a tank?? And second of all- for a sump do I HAVE to drill my tank to setup a sump?? Because that would probably be a pain in the butt.
Anyways Thanks in advance

-Brian

Old 12-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

No you don't have to drill your tank and basically you can filter your water how you want with a sump.....there's a lot of diy sump project plans out there

Old 12-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It can also house heaters and stuff like that so you don't have to see it in your tank....I've seen guys make sumps out of a Rubbermaid toat and 3 drawer tower and have some very clear clean water
Old 12-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I'm trying to learn more about sumps myself. You tube is your friend.

This is a pretty cool vid.

Adding a Sump and overflows to our Reef Tank -- Ep:6 How to set up a saltwater aquarium - YouTube
Old 12-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you get a sump you will wonder why you didnt get it sooner.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Brian -

Two hang on the backs Plus a canister - yes you are ready for a sump.

As noted, you do not have to drill your tank but you will need to purchase an overflow box which basically transfers water from the tank to the sump.

However, its not as hard as you might think to drill your tank which in my opinion is better than an overflow box. Google GLASS HOLES they sell kits - everything you need to drill your tank and add an overflow box.

Personally I would look for a used professionally built wet dry sump filter. I see them all the time on craigslist for cheap and for a first time wet dry sump set up you'll feel better about it if you purchase something professionally designed and made for the operation of filtering your tank.

My guess is you could sell your hob's and the canister and not have to come out of pocket too much money if any.

The media area for bacterial growth is huge which means better water quality. Usually not much to clean and what does need cleaning is super accessible. As noted you can put your heater in the sump and you can do top offs and water changes through the sump as opposed to the tank (depending on how much water you change).

I would suggest you continue your research and consider a change to a wet dry sump.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com