Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Congo tetra

Are they a good tetra to keep with cichlids ?

Old 03-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No. Those nice fins will get picked to death.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Really? Well I just read about "dither" fish and that was one of the suggestions
Old 03-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman24 View Post
Really? Well I just read about "dither" fish and that was one of the suggestions
Dither fish are also called target fish. They are dispensable fish that are used to lure typical hiding cichlids out of hiding.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congo tetras are usualy used for dithers for semi aggressive sa/ca cichlids like geos or severums. I wouldn't do with Africans at all. even with severums its still possible that they will start to disappear at some point. as rivers said don't get attached to them. I know HUKIT was using them as dithers with a midas but they were being eaten about 1 a week. Dithers are as you said to make shy fish come out more and target fish are fast fish that can take a beating from more aggressive sa/cas
Old 03-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dither fish ARE NOT called target fish. Completely different things.

Dither fish are fish used to pull shy fish out of hiding. Many cichlids see a school of fish out and about as a sign that the area is safe, thus making them more active and adventurous.

Target fish are fish used to deter an aggressive fish from picking on another fish. This is common in the highly aggressive cichlid species, so that grow outs or even adults don't kill each other, but instead focus on the target fish.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plus, it depends on the species. Many west Africans do very well with Congo tetras.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
Dither fish ARE NOT called target fish. Completely different things.

Dither fish are fish used to pull shy fish out of hiding. Many cichlids see a school of fish out and about as a sign that the area is safe, thus making them more active and adventurous.

Target fish are fish used to deter an aggressive fish from picking on another fish. This is common in the highly aggressive cichlid species, so that grow outs or even adults don't kill each other, but instead focus on the target fish.
Explained better than i did Thanks Freakgecko91.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have some Congos with my rotkiel severum and red head tapajos. Nobody bothers them, and they look great in a school. Idk if I've just had bad experiences with them or if they were just wild caught (the prices for congos where I'm at are sometimes RIDICULOUS, at one point Big Als was asking $23 a fish) but I've had a couple just die from what I imagine is chlorine poisoning but they were far more sensitive than my other fish. When I was changing the substrate in my 90g I filled the tank back up and forgot to put prime in before adding the fish and lost 5 congos, but no other fish seemed stressed at all. And then I lost two when doing a water change, I use a water changer so untreated water goes right into the tank which was never a problem but I was doing my other tanks at the same time and forgot to Prime for about 10 minutes, and they did the same thing as the others that died. Just starting swimming upside down and floating until they sank and died. And again, no other fish seemed phased at all by what was happening.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have some right now with some dwarf West Africans and "Congo Riverine Cichlids".

Tags
tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com