Convert to a cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point. Another question I just came up with and I have seen debated before is the use of a surface skimmer. Don't get this confused with a protein skimmer as I know it wouldn't do very much good in a freshwater aquarium, but would a surface skimmer be benefitcal? I picked up the aquaclear surface skimmer that hooks up to a HOB filter for like $15 bucks so I am gonna give it a try I figure it won't do any harm, but it might be a bit of an eyesore, maybe eventually I will DIY it up to make a fuge/sump. Anyways what do you guys think about using a surface skimmer on a cichlid tank?

not a bit of need for one imo. Surface agitation does the exact same thing. I have a spray bar on my fluval 405 and i keep the outlet from my 305 up above the water, i have no issues what so ever with film on top of the water.

So are you saying then that I would only need it if I didn't have enough surface agitation, or I had a surface scum buildup on the top of the tank? I think I am going to still hook it up though because in one of my past DIY projects I cut of the bottom of the HOB filter intake tube, so right now it is just a tube with not strainer on it. Inorder to stop it from sucking up things such as fry, I will put the skimmer on. Can't hurt right?! Anyways I will post picks soon, once the water clears up. I think I might put some crypts into the tank too, as I think right now it is a little lacking, do you think they will grow in water above 8 ph?

oh yeah, forgot about that part. Any ideas for things to make the tank look better? Maybe I will put some more rock in the foreground, and just keep it low...

lots of rock, thats pretty much the best youre going to do... but some people can pull off only rock and have it look awesome, im just having a little trouble in that area lol...

alright lol I will do my best. Post some picks of your tank maybe and we can brainstorm? I will do the same once I get it close to something I like...

Anyone got more pics of rock-only cichlid tanks? I have similar rocks in mine called Kewanee Round River Rocks. I added lots of Malaysian Driftwood since it looked too bare.

Back
Top Bottom