converting to ciclid tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awilson133

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hideyho!
since im planning on rescaping my 55g.
how do I go about converting to ciclid tank?
is my 55g big enough?
what are some good ciclids to keep?

Yes 55G would be good for cichlid tank you could do Africans , SA cichlids and other cichlids you got a lot of choices!! Nothing too much just reg. stuff but maybe just rock shelters and stuff.

Fishie said:
Yes 55G would be good for cichlid tank you could do Africans , SA cichlids and other cichlids you got a lot of choices!! Nothing too much just reg. stuff but maybe just rock shelters and stuff.

sweet. im getting sweet driftwood branches and the rock shelters would look awesome. im gonna do some research. can I keep plants??

what kinds of rock??

awilson133 said:
sweet. im getting sweet driftwood branches and the rock shelters would look awesome. im gonna do some research. can I keep plants??

what kinds of rock??

If you do African cichlids then no plants :/ I don't know what plants are good with them though! South American and north American cichlids are cool too. You also got convict cichlids . All cool fish though. SA and NA cichlids are okay with plants. Any rocks but some like slate since its flat.

Fishie said:
If you do African cichlids then no plants :/ I don't know what plants are good with them though! South American and north American cichlids are cool too. You also got convict cichlids . All cool fish though. SA and NA cichlids are okay with plants. Any rocks but some like slate since its flat.

hmmm..i do like plants..(rubbing my chin) so maybe SA or NA. the african ciclids are colorful. I dont have to do plants.
convicts are nice.
I have natural gravel is that okay?

awilson133 said:
hmmm..i do like plants..(rubbing my chin) so maybe SA or NA. the african ciclids are colorful. I dont have to do plants.
convicts are nice.
I have natural gravel is that okay?

I got all of them :D instead of NA I meant CA for central not northern! My bad! I got them all I live Africans the best really colorful but can overstock a little cause of aggression. Nat. Gravel is ok.

Fishie said:
I got all of them :D instead of NA I meant CA for central not northern! My bad! I got them all I live Africans the best really colorful but can overstock a little cause of aggression. Nat. Gravel is ok.

okay thats good. I have a aqueon 55/75 HOB on my tank and a aqueon 20 HOB on my 29 while the new filter I got is seeding. I was reading that a canister is recomended. cant really afford one right now:(

awilson133 said:
okay thats good. I have a aqueon 55/75 HOB on my tank and a aqueon 20 HOB on my 29 while the new filter I got is seeding. I was reading that a canister is recomended. cant really afford one right now:(

Oh I have a HOB filter so... Idk.

I'm building a 55g African tank and I bought natural gravel and really wish I woulda started with sand :/ I bought the sand today but have to wait till after my cycle is complete to change the substrate! I can't waitttttt!

If you want to do plants with African Mbuna cichlids then choose anubias and java fern. Thats about all they wont eat. They are veggie eaters. You dont need much light for them either. About 1 watt per gallon. Heavy filtration is a must. HOBS just dont work for the long haul. You want something that turns your water about 6 times per hour. So 330 gallons per hour is what you need to shoot for

awilson133 said:

I'm running a AquaClear 110 and Topfin 60 :)

What ever you decide, just don't mix Africans with the other types of cichlids. That's a lesson I recently learned myself. *hides face*

Mlani said:
What ever you decide, just don't mix Africans with the other types of cichlids. That's a lesson I recently learned myself. *hides face*

Me toooooo! Just had to Rehome an Oscar and firemouth :(

i would recommend aqua clears, they are on the less expensive side when it comes to filters and they work fairly well. i would say do one aqua clear 75 at first and then if you plan on doing mbuna cichlids add another later on, the problem with aqueons is that the filter cartridges have carbon in them and you need to replace it every month, with an aqua clear you have separate carbon that you can actually leave out of the filter since it isnt necessary, and you have sponges that you can pretty much leave in for years without replacing! all they need is a rinse in some of your old tank water and there good to go again!

im really leaning towards african..lol but I need to do a lot of research first. so many options..

a.tetreault said:
i would recommend aqua clears, they are on the less expensive side when it comes to filters and they work fairly well. i would say do one aqua clear 75 at first and then if you plan on doing mbuna cichlids add another later on, the problem with aqueons is that the filter cartridges have carbon in them and you need to replace it every month, with an aqua clear you have separate carbon that you can actually leave out of the filter since it isnt necessary, and you have sponges that you can pretty much leave in for years without replacing! all they need is a rinse in some of your old tank water and there good to go again!

And you have sooo many options for media!

awilson133 said:
im really leaning towards african..lol but I need to do a lot of research first. so many options..

Tons of options and color variations, you would be happy making that choice :)

even south American cichlids have amazing colors. jack dempseys (especially the electric blues) and discus are probably the most colorful of all the SA cichlids

Back
Top Bottom