Converting to sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This depends on the filter. If its a typical hob filter there could be a possible risk since so much of the water drains out but in any sump or canister filter you could leave it off for days since there is water filled where the media is. Most hob filters usually have a sponge on the bottom which retains a lot of water keeping any bacteria safe.

Malawi Freak said:
This depends on the filter. If its a typical hob filter there could be a possible risk since so much of the water drains out but in any sump or canister filter you could leave it off for days since there is water filled where the media is. Most hob filters usually have a sponge on the bottom which retains a lot of water keeping any bacteria safe.

Yeah, I've got an internal canister filter. The bacteria also need oxygen though as well as water, which is one of the reasons why I thought the bacteria would die.

Oxygen is always in water at levels acceptable for bacteria. Adding air stones to filters increase growth but are not a necessity.

after changing from gravel to sand i would do a few water tests as there may be a small ammonia spike. substrate contains BB in it as well as your filter and changing it all will cause you to lose some of your bacteria

a.tetreault said:
after changing from gravel to sand i would do a few water tests as there may be a small ammonia spike. substrate contains BB in it as well as your filter and changing it all will cause you to lose some of your bacteria

Absolutely. Do you have a lot of decorations in the tank? Lots of rocks are great for BB

Just switched my tank over to the black blasting sand yesterday and it was an all day process lol make sure u rinse really really good! I drained half my water out then dumped the sand in slowly but surely it looked pretty bad for a cpl hrs but settled fairly quick. My water is still cloudy but its gettin better I only waited bout an hr before cutting my filters bk on an I hope they're fine!! I've never had a canister filter b4 so should I turn them off when I do a pwc or using my vac?

I jus got the fluval fx5 an it has the turn off valves to the in/out so couldn't I jus turn them off or do I need to power off the unit?

I jus got the fluval fx5 an it has the turn off valves to the in/out so couldn't I jus turn them off or do I need to power off the unit?

You dont absolutely need to turn off your canister filter while doing a water change, but the return line will make a splash if you are doing larger water changes. If you are shutting those valves off you should already have your canister turned off. Thats an easy way to burn out a motor.

Ok thanx I'm new to these type filters I've always had simple HOB

If you do cut off the water to the lines you absolutely have to turn the unit off. It will be running dry and burn up the pump.

I guess it would be but i know it says in the manuals for the fx5 not to run it with the water intake fully closed. It says it will cause damage.

Your welcome, id hate to hear that your pump burnt up. The fx5 is not cheap lol.

I used silver sand from a garden centre in the UK,
Looks great but was very dirty, lots of rinsing.
Looks great in Malawi tank with black rock and 3d internal background, plus it soon settles after disturbing and never get close to intakes.

Cichlid-dude said:
Your welcome, id hate to hear that your pump burnt up. The fx5 is not cheap lol.

Yea bout 300 bucks lol so should I turn it off when I do a sand vac?

Normally sand doesn't need to be vac. Well not like gravel at least. It compacts and all the waste just sits on top. You should stir the sand a bit to make sure no gas builds up underneath it. Also if you turn off the valve but not the filter, it will be working way to hard. It will be trying to suck water in from something closed and yes it will burn out your filter.

stone1269 said:
Just switched my tank over to the black blasting sand yesterday and it was an all day process lol make sure u rinse really really good! I drained half my water out then dumped the sand in slowly but surely it looked pretty bad for a cpl hrs but settled fairly quick. My water is still cloudy but its gettin better I only waited bout an hr before cutting my filters bk on an I hope they're fine!! I've never had a canister filter b4 so should I turn them off when I do a pwc or using my vac?

You should power off the whole tank for a PWC. You don't want to risk electricution.

Back
Top Bottom