Convict breeding behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mbratcher13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! I have 2 males cichlids (one slightly larger than the other) and a female. Have had them all for about 3 weeks now. My larger male was the kind of the tank until recently. When I introduced the female, it seems almost instant that they paired up, swam together, did the "dance", and even picked a cave that he protected.

For the last couple days my smaller male has constantly been around the cave with the female inside and my large male is badly beaten up and has taken to constant hiding in another cave.

Questions: is it normal for a female to switch from one male to another? Should the beaten up male be removed? Could they have spawned if the small male is willing enough to fight the large male? (The small guy doesn't have a mark on him!) and the female hasn't come out of the cave in about a day and half as far as I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

He ended up dying. :( although male and female seem to be doing great!

Women! Sounds like she was impressed by male #1's size but male #2 won her over in the end. They could have double teamed male #1, poor guy.?

I have fry!!! Found by accident when trying to do a routine water change and lifted her cave! Got bit in the process too. About the size of a pin head and free swimming! I hope she doesn't eat them all after being disturbed. :(

Very protective parents. I don't think she'll eat them but she may move them.

Take out the beaten fish... he will surely die when the eggs hatch

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom