Convict Breeding Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Istrom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all, about 4 days ago my Convict pair laid eggs for the 3rd time. The first and second times, the chinese algae eater I had with them ate the eggs. This time I took out all of the Convict's tankmates, and I put a net up over the filter intake in case any wigglers were to get sucked up.

The eggs had been fine up until about midnight last night, and this morning they were just gone. They were fertilized, and were in a safe place were the parents constantly fanned them off.

The wigglers may be in a nest area somewhere in the tank but I did a pretty thorough search.

My water params:
pH: 7.3
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20-30 ppm

There's no issue in the tank, what could be the cause?

Hey all, about 4 days ago my Convict pair laid eggs for the 3rd time. The first and second times, the chinese algae eater I had with them ate the eggs. This time I took out all of the Convict's tankmates, and I put a net up over the filter intake in case any wigglers were to get sucked up.

The eggs had been fine up until about midnight last night, and this morning they were just gone. They were fertilized, and were in a safe place were the parents constantly fanned them off.

The wigglers may be in a nest area somewhere in the tank but I did a pretty thorough search.

My water params:

pH: 7.3

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 20-30 ppm

There's no issue in the tank, what could be the cause?

First couple of attempts new parents may eat the young. Dont get discouraged, these guys are breeding machines and will get it right soon :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's what my LFS said, I thought I'd double check though. Also, the water temp was 80 degrees, a tad above what convicts prefer, so I toned it down a bit.

don't worry the main problem with convicts is to get them to stop breeding I know plenty of people that use them as feeders

I found that younger convicts or younger cichlids in general are more prone to egg eating.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom