Convict Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cincotta82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I was thinking abou tgettin ga hardy cichlid to put in my 7 gal. I read the convict stays fairly smal, 3-4 inches, and is a very hardy fish. WOuld the tank be big enough for the convict? I wanted a Jack Dempsey or Green Severum, but i think they grow to big..Any other suggestions???

i believe 7 gal will be too small for a convict as it has potential size of around 6"...
but a juvie may be kept in a 7 gal...
again, i have no personal experience with them...so u might want to hear from people with more info... :mrgreen:

It would be a bit too small. My cons are evil and attack anything that comes near it. I prefer cons in a large tank where they can have a terratory all their own.

If you want a cichlid that will tolerate a 7 gallon aquarium then you're going to be limited to the 'dwarf' cichlids from South American or Africa. You could house a pair of Apistogramma or Microgeophagus (Rams) in a 7 gallon, though it really is a bit small for them. 'Kribensis' (Pelvicachromis pulcher) or some of the Nannochromis species from the African rivers might also work, as might some of the small 'shell dwellers' (Neolamprologus) from the African Rift Lakes.

-Joe

All three of those cichlids will get to large for a 7 gallon aquarium. I recommend getting a ram. A pair would probably be the best. Rams are dwarf cichlids that only get around three inches at the most. They are also very colorful. I have a pair of blue rams and would recommend them if your looking for a cichlid to put in a 7 gallon aquarium.

Actually.....Nanochromis transvestitus will max out at about 1 5/8 inches so it is perfectly suitable for a 7 gallon tank. Many of the Apistogramma species also stay quite small. (FYI....the 'Ram', which is now called Microgeophagus ramirezi USED to be considered an Apistogramma as well.) The Pelvicachromis species will eventually reach almost 4 inches but generally stay at a size less than that for quite some time.

Personally, I wouldn't try to keep any of these fish in a 7 gallon tank for life....but with good aquarium maintenance you might be able to manage it. I tend to stick with aquaria of 10 gallons or more for most of my cichlids.

-Joe

if you are getting cons i wouldnt recommend any other fish to go with them because of their devilish :twisted: nature, as mentioned above they attack everything, even the hand that cleans their tank.

Back
Top Bottom