Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Convict Cichlid Questions?

Recently the male of my pair of convicts got really aggressive and killed the female so I gave him a few weeks to calm down and then went to my LFS, I looked at the convict tanks and couldn't resist buying one of the more "special" ones, at first the male was aggressive to her but after about 3 days they calmed down, I started noticing breeding/courtship behavior and the male digging nests around the tank and then today I saw eggs and I am wondering if her condition would effect the fry? and if her condition will affect her health? thanks.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Likely, the male Convict murdered the initial female, because he was ready to breed, and she wasn't. Compassion is not a trait of male cichlids.
Regarding the present situation, I'd say, "let it ride".
See if the new parents actually protect the nest and raise the fry. When I kept "nesting" Convicts, they would bite my hand during WC's in defense of their babies.
Good luck.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

ya the eggs hatched today and I'm not sure how I didn't notice them before, now that they're hatched she's pushed the male to the very end of the tank and wont let him leave or come close.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now you have to answer the question "What am I going to do with all these baby Convicts?".
It's very difficult just to give Convicts away let alone sell them.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James G View Post
Recently the male of my pair of convicts got really aggressive and killed the female so I gave him a few weeks to calm down and then went to my LFS, I looked at the convict tanks and couldn't resist buying one of the more "special" ones, at first the male was aggressive to her but after about 3 days they calmed down, I started noticing breeding/courtship behavior and the male digging nests around the tank and then today I saw eggs and I am wondering if her condition would effect the fry? and if her condition will affect her health? thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Now you have to answer the question "What am I going to do with all these baby Convicts?".
It's very difficult just to give Convicts away let alone sell them.
If I lived close, I'd take some off your hands. I loved raising convicts. Momma should be ok, even with her wounds. One the fry are big enough for new homes, try a media sales site. I put 2 adult Oscars on Craigslist one night at 7:00. At 7:15 the next morning I got a call for them and the guy was here to get them by 9. I had them posted for free to a good home. I don't know how well you'll fare selling them though.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

My LFS usually takes any fish you give them, the convicts i had before would spawn the LFS would take all the babies, or they'll become food for my other fish, as the fry tank is in use with my electric blue lobster until his tanks i setup ad cycled.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James G View Post
My LFS usually takes any fish you give them, the convicts i had before would spawn the LFS would take all the babies, or they'll become food for my other fish, as the fry tank is in use with my electric blue lobster until his tanks i setup ad cycled.
I have one fish shop that would take all types of fish babies from me, but they trust me and my fish because they've known me since the man and his wife opened the aquarium shop over 25 years ago. Some shops won't take them, but it never hurts to ask.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Although Convicts are nice looking, interesting cichlids, they are very prolific breeders, which makes them an inexpensive fish. In my area, nice sized Convicts sell for about $2.50 A peice.

Tags
cichlid, convict, convict cichlid, ich, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com