Convict Cichlid Questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James G

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently the male of my pair of convicts got really aggressive and killed the female so I gave him a few weeks to calm down and then went to my LFS, I looked at the convict tanks and couldn't resist buying one of the more "special" ones, at first the male was aggressive to her but after about 3 days they calmed down, I started noticing breeding/courtship behavior and the male digging nests around the tank and then today I saw eggs and I am wondering if her condition would effect the fry? and if her condition will affect her health? thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2003.JPG
    IMG_2003.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 74
Likely, the male Convict murdered the initial female, because he was ready to breed, and she wasn't. Compassion is not a trait of male cichlids.
Regarding the present situation, I'd say, "let it ride".
See if the new parents actually protect the nest and raise the fry. When I kept "nesting" Convicts, they would bite my hand during WC's in defense of their babies.
Good luck.

ya the eggs hatched today and I'm not sure how I didn't notice them before, now that they're hatched she's pushed the male to the very end of the tank and wont let him leave or come close.

Now you have to answer the question "What am I going to do with all these baby Convicts?".
It's very difficult just to give Convicts away let alone sell them.

Recently the male of my pair of convicts got really aggressive and killed the female so I gave him a few weeks to calm down and then went to my LFS, I looked at the convict tanks and couldn't resist buying one of the more "special" ones, at first the male was aggressive to her but after about 3 days they calmed down, I started noticing breeding/courtship behavior and the male digging nests around the tank and then today I saw eggs and I am wondering if her condition would effect the fry? and if her condition will affect her health? thanks.
Now you have to answer the question "What am I going to do with all these baby Convicts?".
It's very difficult just to give Convicts away let alone sell them.
If I lived close, I'd take some off your hands. I loved raising convicts. Momma should be ok, even with her wounds. One the fry are big enough for new homes, try a media sales site. I put 2 adult Oscars on Craigslist one night at 7:00. At 7:15 the next morning I got a call for them and the guy was here to get them by 9. I had them posted for free to a good home. I don't know how well you'll fare selling them though.

My LFS usually takes any fish you give them, the convicts i had before would spawn the LFS would take all the babies, or they'll become food for my other fish, as the fry tank is in use with my electric blue lobster until his tanks i setup ad cycled.

My LFS usually takes any fish you give them, the convicts i had before would spawn the LFS would take all the babies, or they'll become food for my other fish, as the fry tank is in use with my electric blue lobster until his tanks i setup ad cycled.
I have one fish shop that would take all types of fish babies from me, but they trust me and my fish because they've known me since the man and his wife opened the aquarium shop over 25 years ago. Some shops won't take them, but it never hurts to ask.

Although Convicts are nice looking, interesting cichlids, they are very prolific breeders, which makes them an inexpensive fish. In my area, nice sized Convicts sell for about $2.50 A peice.

Back
Top Bottom