Convict cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralphie126

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have 2 female convicts and I'm scared now because if I put s male it's I will have sooooooo many fry..... Should i get a male??? If I get another cichlid from SA will they breed?

No. One, the labs are mbuna cichlids, different lake, different needs and they are also one of the lesser aggressive mbuna. Convicts are a SA cichlid and live up to their name. They are one of the most aggressive for their size. My son has some black and some pink and he loves them. It's a species only tank.
Here's some info on your convict.

http://www.worldcichlids.com/fishprofiles/convictcichlids.html

Ok I was just wondering because I have seen videos of them in the same tank....

Petco said if i get a male and breed the convicts, they would take the fry and adopt them out...... i will get a male once everything is ready and i have what i need in a 55g tank

Breeding convicts is a blast. Nothing like seeing real nature up close and personal. Fry will eat crushed flake food, and in fact the parents will crush it up for them and spit it out. A clay flowerpot on its side makes an excellent spawning site. Don't worry about anything, just let the convicts do their thing.

Ok I was just wondering because I have seen videos of them in the same tank....

I have seen PLENTY of videos on YouTube of overstocked and mis-stocked tanks. I would not rely on YouTube as much of a reference point for stocking. I'm sure you could get away with it for a while when the fish are juveniles but it's going to be a bloodbath when the fish hit sexual maturity.

Back
Top Bottom