Convict Cichlids: One week old fry and now more eggs! OMG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauriecan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

My convict cichlids just hatched their first batch of fry last week, so I have about sixty wigglers in my tank now. Imagine my surprise when I went to the tank today and saw another batch of eggs on the back of the tank. I don't know if they are fertilized, but the dad is definitely hanging around them. I separated this pair from the rest of my tank with a plexiglass divider, so I'm not concerned about other fish getting them. Now I'm wondering if the parents will start taking out the older fry. Should I remove both or one of the parents? Is it normal for them to spawn again when they have such young fry? Also, should I separate the new fry from the older fry? Sorry for so many questions. I didn't know they reproduced this quickly. The old adage "breeding like bunnies" should be replaced with "convict cichlids." LOL

Actually, I'd be more concerned about the other fish or the parents NOT eating the fry. What are you going to do with hundreds of convicts? Around this time last year I had a pair of cutteri spawn in a 29 gallon tank. They were excellent parents, and the whole brood grew out just fine. I moved the pair to another tank, and started moving some of the fry into a 40 with the Carapo knife fish that had (then) recently reduced several hundred endler's livebearers to less than 2 dozen. Cichlid fry are a bit "meatier" than endler's, and grow faster as well, faster than the Carapo could keep up with. I sold some, gave some to the lfs, and last winter culled 80+ young adults because I couldn't get rid of them and needed the tankspace. That was just one spawn, from a fully grown pair. I currently have 3 actively (actually more like constantly) breeding pairs in a 90, with 6 P. typus catfish to keep the fry in check. Out of well over 1000 fry only 2 have managed to reach 1", and appear to be off the catfish menu. The Carapo knife, still in the 40, also has a pair in the tank to keep up with. None of those fry have lasted more than a couple weeks, which is a good thing IMO.

Convicts breed that fast...... Expect another batch soon..... You cold bring them to a lfs and see if they will take them or let them grow then sell them at one inch for free

Back
Top Bottom