Convict fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beehpee

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Convict has now got her 5th/6th batch of eggs in as many weeks, conditions in tank must be good or I guess they wouldn't keep laying as they are, it's fascinating watching the eggs change and finally hatch, however each time they've hatched I get to the point of them becoming free swimming and overnight they're gone! There must be anything from 50 to 100 each time but so far not a single survivor, nice for the other fish in the tank getting regular live food and the way they are breeding if too many survived I'd be over run with baby convicts but it would be nice if one or 2 could manage to hide, oh well you never know maybe this is the batch where I might get one to make it, one thing I did wonder about with fish breeding, with all living things in-breeding is not recommended as any bad traits in the species will be increased by keeping it in the family so to speak, with fish tho if I do get any fry surviving a way down the line they might well end up making out with their nearest and dearest, how do you people try to keep this to a minimum? The only way I can see is by constantly adding new strains.

BP

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This effect is common with many aquarium fish purchased. Some species have very shallow gene pools and though not all have defects that are bred in some do. Example would be electric blue Rams bred in Asia. Why some people still buy wild caught specimens of some species.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom