Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Convict ID

Was looking for some help in understanding differences in convicts and sexting. I have read and thought I was familiar with sexting convicts and have what I thought was 4 males. But, now that they are maturing, I see two types.

One out of 4 is a bit darker, and has long fins. The one picture here is also the brut of the bunch. There is one other smaller one (not pictured) that is like this one, but brighter/lighter in coloring. The other two including the biggest fish I have, do not have the long streamers. But none of them (7 months old) have any orange/pink.

Thanks,
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	convict2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	280805   Click image for larger version

Name:	convict3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	280806  

Old 11-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

they both look like males,,,, should be quite obvious, but i could be wrong,,, but the hump tells me something especially when its 7 months old

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-17-2015, 01:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Both of those pictures show a male fish, as evidenced by the larger size, long flowing fins, and lack of color in the belly area

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

convicts will change from darker to lighter depending on mood nothing to do with sex. Females can even have streamers the orange color is what sets them apart.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
convicts will change from darker to lighter depending on mood nothing to do with sex. Females can even have streamers the orange color is what sets them apart.
Well, the one in the bottom picture is always darker, but very familiar with their changing stripes and appearance based on mood. The streamers is what was confusing to me. It's hard to see, but the fins on the bottom pic are quite long. Two of the fish had this appearance, and then the other two are like the one on top with shorter fins. But the orange is what I thought as I read that last year.

Thanks all,
Kevin

Tags
convict

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com