convict in an 29?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-man02

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello i have a 29g and was curious about if a convict will go in an 29 and thrive if so how many am i looking at. If not what size is good for them?

ok ive read if i get one male one female they will mate like crazy will this happen. thank you for the quick reply.

ok ive read if i get one male one female they will mate like crazy will this happen. thank you for the quick reply.

Yes the rumors are true, they breed like crazy. I breed Honduran Red Points which are cousins of the convict and they breed every 3-4 weeks. Even with the breeding a pair is cool in a 29g.

yea thats crazy I guess i could always sell the off spring. i have another couple of questions,sorry if they are newb questions. will they be stunted in the 29 or will they reach the 6'' mark? can you train them to hand feed if so how?

yea thats crazy I guess i could always sell the off spring. i have another couple of questions,sorry if they are newb questions. will they be stunted in the 29 or will they reach the 6'' mark? can you train them to hand feed if so how?

No if they're kept alone with good water conditions no stunting will occur. Females will stay smaller than the males and usually average 4-5". I don't hand feed any of my fish so I can't comment on that. A 29g is the minimum for a pair but with good fishkeeping it can be done.

No if they're kept alone with good water conditions no stunting will occur. Females will stay smaller than the males and usually average 4-5". I don't hand feed any of my fish so I can't comment on that. A 29g is the minimum for a pair but with good fishkeeping it can be done.
by good fish keeping you mean regular water changes, and correct diet.

ok that is easyish anyidea of how much water will i have to take out to keep the parameter wear it needs to be.

Water test results will determine how often and how much water need to be changed, your goal in mind is to keel the nitrates below 20ppm at all times. I change 50% minimum per week at the least, even if the nitrates are below that. I tend to overstock my tanks so those PWC are mandatory in most tanks.

they uproot plants but loves a simple rock scape such as this
2893_1.JPG

with some flower pots also.

Water test results will determine how often and how much water need to be changed, your goal in mind is to keel the nitrates below 20ppm at all times. I change 50% minimum per week at the least, even if the nitrates are below that. I tend to overstock my tanks so those PWC are mandatory in most tanks.
ok will i be able to put an algea eater or a cleaner fish or will the convics kill the fish

ok will i be able to put an algea eater or a cleaner fish or will the convics kill the fish

No I'm afraid there's no room for other fish in a 29g, that and during a spawn they are absolute terrors, my 2" HRP's chase away 14" oscars.

And no they may chase a oscar but they not going to kill one.

No I'm afraid there's no room for other fish in a 29g, that and during a spawn they are absolute terrors, my 2" HRP's chase away 14" oscars.

And no they may chase a oscar but they not going to kill one.
yea the part about killing an oscar that is 14'' sounded crazy but once again the do live up to their name,

Back
Top Bottom