Convict Info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convicts are neat to watch. I have a 6" male pink with the big hump on his head chasing around a 3" black and white female wanting to mate. The male black and white just hides. I love the pinks but they do breed often. I also agree that convicts should only be in a tank with other convicts unless they are very small. I agree with ilikepie. I have been breeding them for sometime. Yes they are good parents, they will chase away other convicts but as the baby cons get older I have had the parents kill them off. It happens sooner or later.

ilikepie said:
Umm im pretty sure im right when i say 2 mating convicts cant have tankmates becuase they will attack anything that trys to eat their fry so my question is what do YOU jave with breeding convicts

Breeding convicts are aggressive true, the same can be said with any other Central American cichlids. Breeding pairs can be maintained with other fish provided the tank has enough space for the other fish in the tank to avoid the parents with fry/eggs. You obviously did not any research into this while setting up your tank otherwise you would have had maybe a few tattered fins instead of dead fish.

So I'm pretty sure you're not right and really have no business giving advice on the subject.

Mogurako said:
Breeding convicts are aggressive true, the same can be said with any other Central American cichlids. Breeding pairs can be maintained with other fish provided the tank has enough space for the other fish in the tank to avoid the parents with fry/eggs. You obviously did not any research into this while setting up your tank otherwise you would have had maybe a few tattered fins instead of dead fish.

So I'm pretty sure you're not right and really have no business giving advice on the subject.

I am right look it up yourself

ilikepie said:
I am right look it up yourself

Thank you for proving my point and shedding light on your own ignorance. I would like to see this concrete evidence that pair of convicts can have no tank mates. Where do I look this up?! Also am I suppose to believe everything I read on the Internet?!

As stated before with the correct tank size and tank mates it is very possible to accomplish.

Ok guys, i see that some of us have had good expirences with convicts and some havent but the OP wants to know how they breed. Each of you has given your opinions, even if they conflict, doesnt mean one is right more than the other is.
Not trying to be rude but it seems like this thread is just an argument.
Any who i have always liked the look of convicts, so if your eggs hatch id expect pics!

Each person has their own experience with different fish in their tanks. In one of my 55g tanks I have a mixed bag of cichlids. It's working right now but give it a few months and it may be all out war. You never know. I do have a back up tank, but each fish has it's own personality. Peoples input is to try and share their experiences and help others. Well can all learn.

Bubbles0oO said:
Not trying to be rude but it seems like this thread is just an argument.
Any who i have always liked the look of convicts, so if your eggs hatch id expect pics!

I 100% agree. I'm getting really tired of all these people arguing. I never asked for it. Just wanted to ask my question and get solid, concrete answers. Not a huge unwanted mess. Lol.

As for fry, if there are some in the future, I will definately post pics :)

Pam is here said:
Each person has their own experience with different fish in their tanks. In one of my 55g tanks I have a mixed bag of cichlids. It's working right now but give it a few months and it may be all out war. You never know. I do have a back up tank, but each fish has it's own personality. Peoples input is to try and share their experiences and help others. Well can all learn.

Yes, but that is an entirely different subject!! All I wanted to know was info on Convicts. ..lol

kelbaker79 said:
Yes, but that is an entirely different subject!! All I wanted to know was info on Convicts. ..lol

I apologize for deviation from the original topic my posts may have caused but when someone goes about spewing such ridiculousness it's hard to ignore.

It should only take 3-4 days for the eggs to hatch. If any of the eggs are white it means they are unfertilized They will breed like bunnies ( every 30 days) , I'd either use the fry as feeders or see if a LFS will give you any credit for them.

Mogurako said:
I apologize for deviation from the original topic my posts may have caused but when someone goes about spewing such ridiculousness it's hard to ignore.

It should only take 3-4 days for the eggs to hatch. If any of the eggs are white it means they are unfertilized They will breed like bunnies ( every 30 days) , I'd either use the fry as feeders or see if a LFS will give you any credit for them.
im not ridiculous, devin hester is silly

Mogurako said:

Its ok! Thank you for your info, like I said, I've never had convicts before and usually I like to try to gather as much info as I can, but this being a "rescue mission" I didn't have much time! Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom