Convict male hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambinojake

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, after my female convict beat the crap out of my male convict and killed it, i decided to go out and get a male much bigger than the last one that wouldnt take any crap from the female. But instead, the male (2") is hiding from the female (1") and i am worried they will not breed. Any help would be appreciated.

Try to rearrange any decor. If that doesn't work, remove the female and let the male settle in

That's most irregular, a female convict killing a male and then battering one twice the size. If you like convicts i would trade the female you have and keep the male, get 3 new females and 2 males about 2 inches each and let them pair off. Once you have a good pair that are not too over the top aggressive, keep them and take the rest back.

Also, are you sure your female is a female. I've yet to see one which is as bad as you describe. I have one living in a community with mainly robust but peaceful fish, including some other cichlids, and she's been hardly any trouble at all.

Back
Top Bottom