Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Convict pairing

I have a pair of mature convicts that I received from a friend... He got other larger fish. The female is ready to bread, and the male is ready, but they haven't paired yet. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? Or do I just let nature take it's course?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Of the water is good, and it is definitely a male and female it's going to happen and it's going to happen a lot!!!!! If you were near me I could give you a few more to help it happen. Is she of mature age? Red under her belly? Her fins will change pretty colors when she is ready too.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candi1990 View Post
Of the water is good, and it is definitely a male and female it's going to happen and it's going to happen a lot!!!!! If you were near me I could give you a few more to help it happen. Is she of mature age? Red under her belly? Her fins will change pretty colors when she is ready too.

Yes she is orange bellied, and when I added the male her dorsal and under find went to a very pretty blue that she had not done before.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water changes with slightly cooler water (use RO if possible for the water change) and feeding live foods generally induces spawning behavior., however, make sure you have a plan for the fry as convicts breed like absolute rabbits
Old 04-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

It took forever to get mine to spawn after I moved. When I switched everything around and switched out the substrate I've been having babies non stop! Try rearranging there tank and doing water changes. I heard that if you take out some water and let the filter water sprinkle on the top for 30-45 minutes it makes it seem like it's raining and helps them "get in the mood". Don't know how true this is, but I tried it... Seemed to help.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Drew seems like it's happening ant time now!!! Be on the lookout! If it's not happening soon you may need another male.

They do breed like crazy once they start!

Chevy what do you do with all your fry?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I want to keep them I take them out; usually give them away to people who are just starting out with cichlids (there a great fish to learn on, they can survive anything). I've been able to sell a couple hundred dollars worth, but usually give them away. If I have extras they goto my cousins piranhas. If I'm to lazy to do anything about it my Mbunas usually get a nice snack if they can catch them... Out of all the fry that hatch in my tank I usually get about 1 or 2 who survive. And then there worthy to stay in my tank (:
Old 04-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
Water changes with slightly cooler water (use RO if possible for the water change) and feeding live foods generally induces spawning behavior., however, make sure you have a plan for the fry as convicts breed like absolute rabbits

My friend and I have a tank that we are transferring into a fry tank... His male and female pair have already dug their bed
Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just a tip when removing the fry;

Make sure there completely free swimming, if they stay with mom and dad for a couple days they seem to survive better.

Use a turkey baster to suck them up, a lot easier then a net! Make sure the fry tank is the same as the main tank (ph, temperature, etc)

Try not to overfeed. It's really hard not to hah.

You might know all this, but if not hope it helps!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypride View Post
Just a tip when removing the fry;

Make sure there completely free swimming, if they stay with mom and dad for a couple days they seem to survive better.

Use a turkey baster to suck them up, a lot easier then a net! Make sure the fry tank is the same as the main tank (ph, temperature, etc)

Try not to overfeed. It's really hard not to hah.

You might know all this, but if not hope it helps!

Thanks! I didn't know to use a turkey baster, I just thought to do a pwc and suck up the frie into the bucket...

Tags
air, convict, pair, pairing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com