convict question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark shirah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
am currently setting up 30 gal tank for convicts. need advice on gravel or sand and how many of each sex to stock.

I just converted my 29 gal tank from coarse gravel to a fine black sand. I did suffer one casualty - I think it was unrelated, tho. At first the fish were a little confused but they figured it out and there's been no problem. As far as stocking, I'm overstocked at 13 I think. But that's just because there's been a second generation of fish. I don't know what the optimal ratio of M to F is - it seems like 3 pairs are mated and there's a new batch of fry every month or so. I'd be curious what other people think tho...

I'm not sure on the ratio either. I have always only had one pair. THey seemed to like it best when the tank had a bare bottom and a few large pieces of slate. Later with smaller gravel, but not sand like, 2-3 centimeters maybe, they got used to that just fine, they kept the slate handy.
I saw a mated pair at the store (wish I'd had room for them at the time). They had small gravel in the tank and a few plants. The next time I went they had fry and were diligently fending off the other fish. Next time I went the fry were gone and so was the male. I can't believe they sold them separately.

For 30 gallons, I'd go with not more than one mated pair, however I know people who keep two. They also will appreciate gravel and driftwood in the tank. I have one mated pair in a 45 gallon, and they will not let anyone but the fry in there. Even harrased, almost to death, plecos and synodontis catfish. Be forewarned, that a mated pair will be extrememly agressive. Other tankmates would include larger cichlids, and your tank isn't well suited for them.

A pair of convicts will easily take up an entire 30 gallon aquarium when they reach adulthood. They bred easily and because of that, the young are not so easy to sell or just give away. I think the rule of thumb is one male to every two to three females; however, once a dominate female emerges, the other females can be harassed to death. A 30 gallon tank will not provide enough room for the sub females to hide. If you've never kept larger cichlids before, you're first experience with a fish being picked on, chased and overly stressed to death is heart breaking (even if you take the stressed fish out and doctor it back to health, it will probably be picked on when reintroduced). I'm not saying it would definitely happen, but it is something to keep in mind.

Back
Top Bottom