Convict Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sup yall. I currently have a 37g with 4 corries, 18 neons, and a pleco. I wanna convert it to a convict tank.

Questions:

1. What food other than like bloodworms and whats the best brand?

2. Can I keep my current stock(excluding the neons they are gonna go).

3. How many can I keep?

4. Whats the best way to notice their gender? Orange belly right?

5. Do they go well with plants? Anubias and amazon swords to be specific.

6. Anything really cool I can keep with them?

Anything else I should know? I'll add more as it comes to me.

I probably wouldn't put more than a single convict in the tank, unless you can be sure you have a m-f pair. As for feeding, convicts are omnivorous, so go sparingly with the bloodworms. I would try to get a slow-sinking cichlid pellet that has high amounts of spirulina or other vegetable matter for general feeding, with an occasional bloodworm and algae paper treat. The neons would be eaten for sure. The cories may be eaten, unless they're a larger species like emerald green. Females are generally slightly smaller than males and have an orange tint in parts of the dorsal fin, sometimes on belly. I wouldn't suggest live plants in general, although anubias are fairly tough and may be ok. Just make sure you don't bury the rhizomes, and anchor them to a large stone or something. Pictus catfish do well with most American cichlids; not the larger breeds like oscar or midas, etc; but would do well with convict.

Back
Top Bottom