Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Convict tank :)

Just made the deal, going to be taking some convicts off of a members hands here on Friday! This tank isn't going to be seen by anyone but me and my husband, so it doesn't have to be anything special. What is the ideal setup for a pair of convicts and some babies? This is my first go around with strictly cichlids. Advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sand would be good, some hiding places and ceramic plant pots. You can break them and place them in the sand. Maybe a piece of driftwood. Is just gonna be convicts or are you looking to add maybe a pleco or fire mouths, or something else?

Some slate and stones would work also.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sand ould be fine and they like gravel to they like to dig and make homes.lot of hiding place to several large rocks would work.Just be prepaired for a population explosion.They are excelent parents and most babies servive.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Sand would be good, some hiding places and ceramic plant pots. You can break them and place them in the sand. Maybe a piece of driftwood. Is just gonna be convicts or are you looking to add maybe a pleco or fire mouths, or something else?

Some slate and stones would work also.
Probably just going to be only them. If anything maybe a pleco, just depends.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012 View Post

Probably just going to be only them. If anything maybe a pleco, just depends.
If a pleco I'd get yourself at least one nice piece of driftwood.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read that it's really not the greatest idea to have live plants because they often get destroyed.... (I think i remember reading it was java fern or amazon sword that will work if you have live plants?)How true is that?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or I'm wondering if I should do this. Should I move all of my 55g inhabitants into my 30g and just use the 55g for the convicts? Since I've sadly. Had some deaths over the weekend and yesterday I now have this stock in my 55g
11 black ruby barbs
3 platies
3 ornate rainbows
2 Bolivian rams
1 raphael cat
1 albino pleco
4 bronzes, 2 peppered, 2 panda cories
2 (just figured this out) Chinese algae eaters (may end up taking them back or keep them in the 55 if they would be ok with convicts)..

Or if anyone has any suggestions as to what fish in my current stock would be ok with convicts could stay in the 55g.

thinking I may keep the pleco in the 55
Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok let me catch up. Those fish you listed are currently in the 55 and you wanna add convicts to the 55? Or you wanna add convicts alone in a 55 with a pleco. Sorry just trying to make sure I'm on the right page

Convicts in a 55 will work fine (a pair) you could add a pleco. You can even add a pair of fire mouths if you wanted to. Convicts breeding crazy so be ready for babies galore lol

Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Ok let me catch up. Those fish you listed are currently in the 55 and you wanna add convicts to the 55? Or you wanna add convicts alone in a 55 with a pleco. Sorry just trying to make sure I'm on the right page

Convicts in a 55 will work fine (a pair) you could add a pleco. You can even add a pair of fire mouths if you wanted to. Convicts breeding crazy so be ready for babies galore lol
Sorry for making this confusing!
Ok, let's try this again. The original tank I was thinking of putting the convicts in was an empty 30g I have sitting in my room. You are correct about the fish I listed being my current fish that are in the 55g. What I'm wondering would be a better plan is if I take my current fish (and plants) out of my 55g and into the 30g so I can put the convicts in the 55g. So yes, add convicts by themselves along with the pleco and maybe the Chinese algae eaters in the 55g and move all my other fish to the 30g in my room.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012 View Post

Sorry for making this confusing!
Ok, let's try this again. The original tank I was thinking of putting the convicts in was an empty 30g I have sitting in my room. You are correct about the fish I listed being my current fish that are in the 55g. What I'm wondering would be a better plan is if I take my current fish (and plants) out of my 55g and into the 30g so I can put the convicts in the 55g. I might leave the pleco and possible the Chinese algae eaters (just figured out the algae eaters are Chinese algae eaters last night) in the 55g to go with the convicts, but move everyone else to the 30g.
Don't be sorry... That would work. The convicts and pleco with the CAE in the 55g. I bet it would be a nice setup!!

Tags
convict, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com