Convict tank questions .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to build a convict tank. What are some tips before I start.
Can a Parrot and a Dinosaur Bichir go with them
Is sand or rocks better.
How much space do they really need.

I want to build a convict tank. What are some tips before I start.
Can a Parrot and a Dinosaur Bichir go with them
Is sand or rocks better.
How much space do they really need.

Well to start. I have setup a 26 gal bowfront with a TON of hiding spots. I wouldn't recommend anything less than this. A 40+ being a whole lot better. Convicts should on be 1 male or 2-4 females and sometimes that doesn't even work. I would recommend a small male and a big female to start and plenty of Teracott pots and fake plants. Sand is a whole lot better but it's personal preference. They will breed like rabbits once established. These fish have amazing personality and are tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well to start. I have setup a 26 gal bowfront with a TON of hiding spots. I wouldn't recommend anything less than this. A 40+ being a whole lot better. Convicts should on be 1 male or 2-4 females and sometimes that doesn't even work. I would recommend a small male and a big female to start and plenty of Teracott pots and fake plants. Sand is a whole lot better but it's personal preference. They will breed like rabbits once established. These fish have amazing personality and are tough.

I would either buy 6 unsexed juveniles (and let two pair off naturally, then remove the rest), or 1 male and 1 female. Having a pair with extra females means super stressed if not dead extra females. Personally, I'd reccomend looking into convict cousins, like species in Cryptoheros. Not impossible to sell fry like convict are

I have big male now. SO just throwing a female in will not work ?

Not always, but typically, they will breed. However, convicts are very aggressive spawners and anything else in the tank will be chased into a corner and stressed to the point of death quite often. Not to mention that convicts are like rabbits. They are extremely prolific, and due to this fact, plus the fact of how common they are, getting rid of the fry can be a headache. I've seen people unable to even give them away. They're often used as feeder fish for larger cichlid/predatory fish

So is my male ok with out a female ? I so far so good, but I know some things need a school or a another fish to be as happy as they can be.

I would either buy 6 unsexed juveniles (and let two pair off naturally, then remove the rest), or 1 male and 1 female. Having a pair with extra females means super stressed if not dead extra females. Personally, I'd reccomend looking into convict cousins, like species in Cryptoheros. Not impossible to sell fry like convict are

Oh to clear up any confusion. I meant either 1 male or a different stock of 1-4 females by themselves but this doesn't work a lot. It depends on character of your fish really. But everything gecko is posting is good info to go buy! ?

They need a minumum tank size of 30g. I grew mine in a 25g and sussesfuly had a batch of ~150 babies and sand

Back
Top Bottom