Convict tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm considering setting up a 2nd tank here soon and I'm thinking of making it a convict tank. The reason for this is that at work there is a 20 gallon tank that someone has that currently has probably 8-10 convicts in it. It started as a pair many years ago then one batch they didn't eat the babies so they've all grown to full size. I feel kind of bad for them because the conditions aren't that great and I'd like to rescue a few of them. What I'm wondering is if I wanted to take like 4-6 of them what size tank would I need? I think I'm gonna try to get all females so I don't have to worry about having a mating pair. Is it ok to keep all females?

I would at least do a 70-80 gallon if there's a possibility of you having 6 convicts. :) (Try Craigslist....sometimes they have great deals on tanks!)

I thought if they were all female you could get away with a smaller tank as they didn't need breeding territory?

you could get away with a smaller tank... convicts are very territorial though, so as long as you have lots of hiding spots, preferrably 2 maybe 3 per fish, you shouldnt have any problems and could probably get away with a smaller tank, especially one that isnt all that deep but nice and wide... bigger is always better though, and if you are like most of us, the need for a 10g turns in to a 20g, then a 55, then a 75, then a 100, and so on. Id say a 40g breeder would be ok for 4-6, i kept 4 in a 30g with no problems at all, but a 40 breeder would be best. jmo

I thought if they were all female you could get away with a smaller tank as they didn't need breeding territory?

The more space = the happier the fish. With fish like Cichlids,I wouldn't skimp on space or filtration. :) If there's a possiblity of 6 convicts in the same tank (which can already be territorial)....the more space they have the better! These fish can reach between 4-6" (depending on the individual and diet) when they're full grown. Females are typically a pinch smaller than males, but not by much. Even though it doesn't seem like a lot, the bio load alone is need for a bigger tank (don't go by the 1" of fish per 1 gallon rule). I would also make sure that the tank is heavily planted (I've found sturdy plants like amazon swords do best in my cichlid tank) and that there are plenty of rock caves/hiding spots so that they can each have their own territory. (reguardless of what size tank you get).

By getting a bigger tank, this will give them plenty of room to swim (If you can find a 60-80 gallon long that would be prefered as they swim more towards the bottom/middle of the tank than they do the top...so the longer the better vs. it being taller.) Having a larger tank will also give them enough space to establish seperate territories in your tank so they're not constantly fighting over territory. I personally wouldn't put 1 convict cichlid in anything smaller than a 20 gallon....so if you're considering having up to 6 cichlids, I would at least do a 60+ gallon to err on the side of caution. :) Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom