Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.brehun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a black convict and a pink convict. Great colors on both. Only about 2 or 3 inches amd ive had them for a few months. The black has orange on the side so im sure shes a female. And the pink is just all pink with no other colors so its a male. The problem is that i wantthem to breed.

The black convict just chases around the pink and bites her. They are alwYs face to face about to bite echother it looks like. They loge to play around. Is the biting good or bad when wanting to breed.

I will post pics to make sure it is a girl and a boy. Can you tell me why they arent breeding?

Attachments

• image-4260855063.jpg
    image-4260855063.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3186954707.jpg
    image-3186954707.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 85
Austin.brehun said:
Have a black convict and a pink convict. Great colors on both. Only about 2 or 3 inches amd ive had them for a few months. The black has orange on the side so im sure shes a female. And the pink is just all pink with no other colors so its a male. The problem is that i wantthem to breed.

The black convict just chases around the pink and bites her. They are alwYs face to face about to bite echother it looks like. They loge to play around. Is the biting good or bad when wanting to breed.

I will post pics to make sure it is a girl and a boy. Can you tell me whyT they arent breeding?
Try to get some better picks if you can&i could help you with the sexing..once determined we can figure out the breeding situation..

Heres another pic of the pink. Im thinking its a male.

Attachments

• image-1314085311.jpg
    image-1314085311.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 78
So the black convict has an orange spot on the side. So its a female? And the pink is a male?

Yeah the females have coloration on their lower sides and bellies...the males have none..

Ok so now i am wondering why they arent mating. The female just chases around the male all day

About 2 months or maybe a little less. The black convict is also really really dark for some reason

Their colors can fluctulate with mood changes..also is the male larger or smaller than the female?

They are exactly the same size. And still now the female is chasing the male

2 things: 1 she may consider herself dominant over the male..the male will definitely outgrow her in the long run,so you could leave them be for awhile so he gets a chance to become larger or 2 rehome him & get a male who's definitely larger & of the same breed & try that..its hit and miss to tell you the truth,I got lucky & purchased a breeding pair..

Alright heres another pic. Still a chance that there both female?

Attachments

• image-4099457070.jpg
    image-4099457070.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 68
Alright so ill get a male and thats better. Would you reccomend a male
Black convict or a male pink convict?

I have a pair of black convicts..something to look for in a pink(albino) male is that they develope a nuchal hump above the eyes on the head..you may have better luck staying within the same color variation.

I think blacks are more beautiful than thinks so im looking towards a male black convict.

Back
Top Bottom