Convicts!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 3 cons and I was wondering when the females start getting the orange on their bellies and when the males get the longer fins???

I would think you would see signs in the first 6 months. My convict had some orange on the belly (after 4 months), but has developed a long trailing pointy fin after 8 months, so I still don't know the sex.

Mine had their first batch around late September early November. I started noticing the orange scales, about 2 months ago. The females from what I see grow faster then the males. and you can see their long fins when the about 1/2" or 1".

I can take a picture for a young male if you want.

And a vary young female. Gave away all my females, and found one >.<

My convict pair laid eggs in the first couple weeks I got them. The females belly really fired up in a bright orange before she laid them.

Thx mine are 1/2-1 inch long and 1 is starting to get orange/red on its belly so I have me fingers crossed!!:)

Good luck with them! Its cool to see them raise the fry!!! They try to kill ANY fish that gets any where near their babies. Mine almost killed a 8 inch Senegal bichir!

I don't know about that... They are just soo ferocious. If you do try it, just have an alternative it it doesn't work

Thanks I love it! Some people are "fresh freaks" though lol. Good luck with the convicts!! Hope they breed every two weeks like mine did. Haha

I also suggest you have another tank ready for if the fry start attacking the parents from lack of space... if you have a healthy batch, their could be more then 100 or so.

have 10 or so now, but I got rid of 3/4 a while back then another half a week ago. ..

Back
Top Bottom