Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnmichx6

Aquarium Advice Regular
Larger convict in top the house is pregnant too :) I it common for one make to impregnate more then one female at a time?

Attachments

• image-2801275712.jpg
    image-2801275712.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 75
What size tank is it? I counted 9 is that correct? I've seen convicts mate with firemouths and Texas Cichlid's so I don't see why trying to get more then one female of the same breed would be different. They love to dig and move decor. Your substrate looks a bit large are the bigger ones moving those pebbles? Just curious.

My buddy had switched to sand and they seemed a lot happier. Also they will have a lot of fry and if that tank is small and stocked with more cons then the picture shows your pretty much gonna have none left. Even though they get really aggressive I'd bet maybe 1-2 survive if that. My buddy had to move a pair to a bigger tank so they could do there thing and have the fry in there. He had 3 cons pregnant in a 36 bow front and none survived.

Good luck though. Not saying my buddy's experience is gonna be yours. I had cons for a little while but re homed them and went with a mixed African tank for more personality and color.

We have a convict tank at the firehouse so I get to see them often. They are still fun to watch but I wanted color.

So back on track it's not uncommon IMO but I'm no expert. I'd just keep a close eye on everyone.

Also if you have a FTS that would be cool to see the rest of your setup.

tnmichx6 said:
Larger convict in top the house is pregnant too :) I it common for one make to impregnate more then one female at a time?

Convicts don't get pregnant, so you may just be over feeding if she has a belly.

Convicts are egg layers and not livebearers. I'm not sure where you heard otherwise.

5x5 said:
Convicts don't get pregnant, so you may just be over feeding if she has a belly.

Convicts are egg layers and not livebearers. I'm not sure where you heard otherwise.

No but they do become "gravid " with eggs resulting in larger swollen bellies IME

Back
Top Bottom