Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemamauggly

Aquarium Advice Freak
About to cycle my 30 gallon and hopefully get a pair of convicts. My question is what type of things do I need to know before I get them. I'm not getting any other fish. What should I feed them? How do I sex them?

For food a good quality pellet and or flake like Hikari or New life Spectrum.If you have a pair you will soon know as they breed like rabbits from a very small size and the male will grow much faster than the female.You can use Cichlid stones or flowerpots for them to lay eggs in.

males tend to be larger than females and some have elongated fins. the females usually have a pink or orange belly. the belly can be deceiving because of years of inbreeding and line breeding to achieve this trait in both sexes. garfy hit it on the head when he said they breed like rabbits. the first pair i owned, which happened to be the first fish I had ever owned, spawned within the first few hours after being acclimated to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom