convicts? Oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay for my 75 gallon tank I have a pair of breeding black convicts. They havent had any eggs yet but they are breeding but heres the problem I have a tiger oscar with them. Will the oscar mess with the eggs or eat them? And will the tiger oscar eat them when they hatch?

Brian

okay for my 75 gallon tank i have a pair of breeding black convicts. They havent had any eggs yet but they are breeding but heres the problem i have a tiger oscar with them. Will the oscar mess with the eggs or eat them? And will the tiger oscar eat them when they hatch?

Brian

i would move the oscar to a different tank. 75g would be the bare minimum for a single oscar but wouldn't be ideal due to the fact they get huge. Water quality will be an issue probably more than aggression.

IMO a 75 for a single Oscar is fine as lo f as your turning the water volume over 2-3 times an hour so u need a minimum of 300gph filtration however with a breeding pair of convicts the poor Oscar won't have room to swim I had a breeding pair of convicts section off half of my 75g tank and successfully chase everything off to one side pf the tank they are ferocious lil bastards lol

i would move the oscar to a different tank. 75g would be the bare minimum for a single oscar but wouldn't be ideal due to the fact they get huge. Water quality will be an issue probably more than aggression.

Really 55 gallon is bare min for a oscar. 75g is pretty ideal for one oscar.

The convicts will probably try to defend the young but some might be lost.

Most oscars cap off their size at about 12-13 inches. Rarely do they get bigger. Still, I'd move them Convicts to a smaller tank. A breeding pair could go in a 29 L.

If you say so Oscars get up to 15" which means ideally they need 24" to turn around and a 55 is not 24" wide neither is a 75 but its wider then a 55

Most oscars will only grow 12 to 13 inches so you are correct about the 55 but a 75 will have enough turning space.

To put a 13" fish in something as thin as a 55 is cruel sorry buy my opinion would you like have a 3' long bed to sleep in if you where 6' tall ? Or a room only 2' wide to try and walk around in ?

To put a 13" fish in something as thin as a 55 is cruel sorry buy my opinion would you like have a 3' long bed to sleep in if you where 6' tall ? Or a room only 2' wide to try and walk around in ?

That is why most people go 75 I will.

Good and also while a gosh is going to grow to its full size no matter the size of its tank the bigger the tank the bigger he's more likely to be

Yeah but I am on limited funds at the moment so will prob only go 75. My dad has kept a O in a 300 wif a Pleco it grew to be almost 16'

Back
Top Bottom