Corn Earworms for live food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nothing

Aquarium Advice Freak
I work at a grocery store in produce and all the corn we got in has corn earworms in it and I am tasked at sorting through the ears and finding the bad ones. If I took some of them home, would they be safe to feed to my cichlids? Might as well not waste, right? :p

I would be worried about possible pesticides from them. Otherwise plain clean worms would be okay but they will turn into moths eventually just a heads up. Overall I'd skip them cause of the possible chemicals

I would be worried about possible pesticides from them. Otherwise plain clean worms would be okay but they will turn into moths eventually just a heads up. Overall I'd skip them cause of the possible chemicals

+1. But perhaps they are full of worms because they have been grown organically without pesticides?? Still. Not worth the worry IMO.

Yeah I figure it's not worth the risk. My assumption is they've either become immune to the pesticides or they just messed up on the spraying because it isn't from one of our organic producers.

Yeah I figure it's not worth the risk. My assumption is they've either become immune to the pesticides or they just messed up on the spraying because it isn't from one of our organic producers.

From my understanding they are pretty good at avoiding the pesticides while hiding inside the stalks

That would certainly make sense, I just don't understand why it's never been an issue before but now all the corn has these things. It's been fine all summer and been fine in past years without an incident. Just how she goes I guess

That would certainly make sense, I just don't understand why it's never been an issue before but now all the corn has these things. It's been fine all summer and been fine in past years without an incident. Just how she goes I guess

Why do you work? I hear its bad in places where they don't have winter and by the end of the season they start populating corn where it does freeze over this might be your answer why you've just started seeing them.

Back
Top Bottom