corries with central american cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wmunson107

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1 male firemouth, 2 female convicts, 3 corries and a pleco in a 50 gal long runing a fluval 406? Any obvious problems? Overstocking? Agression? Please provide some feedback before i learn the hard way. Alternatives??

I dont know if i can afford that many... any alternatives maybe? And could i do the same setup but with three female convicts or would that be pushing it?

Should still be the same, but with regards to the cory school I'd do no less than five. If money is a issue purchase three at a time then add more when you can.

wmunson107 said:
1 male firemouth, 2 female convicts, 3 corries and a pleco in a 50 gal long runing a fluval 406? Any obvious problems? Overstocking? Agression? Please provide some feedback before i learn the hard way. Alternatives??

I'd skip the corys in this setup. I tried them with fish similar to this and they took a beating and were finally killed. My tank was larger and I had less cichlids and still it didn't work.

Plecos aren't exactly a bottom feeder

And this is a family forum, might wanna watch the language a bit ;)

As for the cories, I'd say it depends more on what the setup looks like, especially with conflicting opinions of two of the best CA keepers on this site

If you do try it stick with some of the larger types like emerald greens. I have had good luck with my Raphael catfish in my African setup. He is a cool fish even though I only see him like every other day when the moonlights kick on at night.

Back
Top Bottom