cotton candy cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob mccoy

Aquarium Advice Addict
i was told that they are also called parrot cichlid. then i was also told thet parrot cichlids dont breed or firtalize eggs. well i have a pair of pure white ones that not only breed they firtalized eggs and i now have 150 fry. any care advice would be helpfull

i was told that they are also called parrot cichlid. then i was also told thet parrot cichlids dont breed or firtalize eggs. well i have a pair of pure white ones that not only breed they firtalized eggs and i now have 150 fry. any care advice would be helpfull

A silly perpetuated myth spread around aquarium forums, while some are sterile as with any species they can certainly reproduce.

They're hybrids, and some are sterile, obviously yours aren't. Once the fry are free-swimming the parents aren't necessary, and they (or the fry) can be moved to another tank to grow out if you have one on hand. A large sponge filter is good for tiny fry, feed them several times daily with powdered flakes and do frequent water changes. Baby brine shrimp are also good food for small fry once they're big enough to eat them, microworms are easy to culture and also a good food for small fry.

Congrats. Wish mine were able to breed. I'm not much into the hybrid scene but they were given to me. It was either me or back to an lfs that isn't even aware of what cycling is.

Back
Top Bottom