Could i add a fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarluva

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 70 gallon aquarium. This aquarium home 1 jack Dempsey ( 6 inches ). A convict ( 2 inches ) a Oscar ( 1.75 inches ) a gold severum ( 4 inches ). I called my local pet store and they said that I have a 2.5 inch Texas jack Dempsey hybrid. Could I get it? In the aquarium I have a emperor 400 filter.

Attachments

• image-3945653522.jpg
    image-3945653522.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 178
Oscarluva said:
I have a 70 gallon aquarium. This aquarium home 1 jack Dempsey ( 6 inches ). A convict ( 2 inches ) a Oscar ( 1.75 inches ) a gold severum ( 4 inches ). I called my local pet store and they said that I have a 2.5 inch Texas jack Dempsey hybrid. Could I get it? In the aquarium I have a emperor 400 filter.

I run two Rena xp3 filters for my 125 gallon. Some people say my tank is a little over stocked but if your over filter your tank, keep up with water changes, and monitor your nitrates nitrites and ammonia I'm sure you'll be fine for now. Eventually I'd upgrade to a 6 foot tank though.

Yes you should be totally fine adding that Texas hybrid. If you didn't have the Oscar in there then you'd be ok. I find that oscars create an astonishing bioload compared to the other cichlids. Ive see them take human-size dumps.

jesse2205 said:
Yes you should be totally fine adding that Texas hybrid. If you didn't have the Oscar in there then you'd be ok. I find that oscars create an astonishing bioload compared to the other cichlids. Ive see them take human-size dumps.

Hahaha that big? How?..... On second thought dont answer that;)

Lol seriously tho, has anyone noticed the type of waste an Oscar creates? It's insane. Instead of small, stringy waste like other cichlids, an Oscar will produce big, thick poops. Sometimes they are so big the dang fish will rub em off on a rock or something. It may be just my experience, lol.

Lol that is disgusting. I have never had the privilege to own one because I have a 30 gallon and I definitely can't upgrade. My parents would kill me. Or not let me post on these forums, same difference.

jesse2205 said:
Lol seriously tho, has anyone noticed the type of waste an Oscar creates? It's insane. Instead of small, stringy waste like other cichlids, an Oscar will produce big, thick poops. Sometimes they are so big the dang fish will rub em off on a rock or something. It may be just my experience, lol.

I have experienced it also, I had two of them and had to clean the sand every three days,I sold mines to a Lfs,nice fish but I'm hooked to mbuna's now

I had some of those before and they are beautiful. I love how they pick the gravel an throw it out of their caves or hiding spots.

Maybe for like a week or two you could add a new fish, then you'll have to rehome 80% of the fish in there. There is no way a 70g could support that bioload/aggression issues your going to have trying to keep all those fish in a little tank.

Rehome 80% of the fish? So he can only have one of those fish in a 70 gallon? That's not practical. I do agree that all of the fish he mentioned will not work together, but I think if he rehomes the Oscar, it can be possible. Practical? No. Possible? Yes. Look at it this way. Let's say he walks in a LFS. The little Texas/Jd hybrid is giving him the pitiful fish eyes. He really wants to take him home, but he can't because he has a "small" tank. He walks out, and up comes a kid with a 30 gallon. He sees the same fish and buys it. Heck, to him it would go really well with his 5 otter oscars in his 30 gallon cuz he has a "big" tank. That is the reality. That fish would be better off in his 70 gallon than some kid cramming it in something else and letting it suffer. To the OP, just be reasonable. Get great filtration and don't get so many dang huge fish. Rehome the Oscar as you can keep that hybrid.

I don't give advice based on what if's,shoulda,coulda or woulda. I give advice based on facts like that Texas and Jack will hit 10-12" plus his 10" Severum and no not mention the convict. Those fish will not work together with or without the oscar long term.

A Texas, jack, severum, and convict can and will work in a 70. I've seen similar setups like that and with proper landscaping and filtration it is definitely possible.

I am just stating my point of view. I have personally kept these fish in a 75 gallon tank. I have seen other setups were it has been done. Im not saying anyone on here does this, but people will just tell a person "oh you can't do that, you need at least a 125 gallon for the cichlid", and the kicker is that none of these ppl even have experience with keeping these fish together. It just seems to be the fad to be negative in the cichlid keeping community. I am not saying this is the way it is for everyone, but I think the fish can have a good quality of life and be content in a 70 gallon. The length and width should be sufficient.

I am just stating my point of view. I have personally kept these fish in a 75 gallon tank. I have seen other setups were it has been done. Im not saying anyone on here does this, but people will just tell a person "oh you can't do that, you need at least a 125 gallon for the cichlid", and the kicker is that none of these ppl even have experience with keeping these fish together. It just seems to be the fad to be negative in the cichlid keeping community. I am not saying this is the way it is for everyone, but I think the fish can have a good quality of life and be content in a 70 gallon. The length and width should be sufficient.

I have been an aquarist for over twenty years, with 8 tanks currently running with Red Terrors, breeding pair of oscars, Honduran Red Points,Flowerhorns and other large ca/sa set ups so trust me when I recommend stocking or compatabiliy issues, with other people here vouching for my recommendations.

I really hate listing my fishkeeping credentials but please don't be rude when posting. I base recommendations based of what's best for the fish not the fishkeeper.

I'm sorry if I came across as rude. I did not mean to at all. I respect your opinion and with the experience you have with keeping large fish, your opinion has more weight. I agree with you on the fact that a bigger tank would be a better, more suitable environment. I am speaking on behalf of those who do not have the room or time to keep 150+ gallon tanks and still mange to keep CA/SA fish who usually don't mix because of size/aggression. I shouldn't be the only one who doesnt believe that only 1 of Jd/Texas/convict can fit in a 70 gal. In other words, we shouldn't tell the OP that it simply cannot be done if it in fact has been done on numerous occasions. We should tell him that he can possibly do it, but will need to take the necessary steps to ensure an environment that is the least aggressive. 1 Jd, 1 Texas, and 1 convict means there are not two of each so there should not be any breeding agression.

If this was an experience fish keeper I would have no worries recommending a trial period but with these large and aggressive fish sometime they don't give you warning or a second chance and then a fish gets hurt or even killed, so I recommend advice on the side of caution.

Very true, dually noted. Constant monitoring of behavioral signs of aggression would be needed.

Back
Top Bottom