Crayfish and Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can you successfully keep Crayfish, in the tank with cichlids? Mbuna species.

Generally I've been told not too. That your crayfish will just wind up a snack for your fish. Although I have managed to keep a crayfish just fine with my cichlids

Generally I've been told not too. That your crayfish will just wind up a snack for your fish. Although I have managed to keep a crayfish just fine with my cichlids

Would it be best to put the crayfish in first than? Kind of let him establish himself, also the cichlids will just be use to him, by the time they are big enough to eat him?

I started my tank with three Africans and one crayfish. I am now at 20 Africans. The fish never really seemed to pay him any mind, this is just my experience

He will end up as a snack at some point, probably after moulting or when your fish get large enough.

I have heard stories of people trying this. People say it's worked for them and at some point they always come back and say they ate it. So I don't recommend it at all. It may last a few days a week or months or a year or two, Eventually they will eat it.

Wouldn't there also be a possibility of the crayfish or crab killing the Mbuna? When they sleep they tend to stay at the bottom, and I heard other stories of them killing Mbuna over night

I had one. He was just as aggressive as the cichlids. I got him first than added the cichlids. They never bothered him and he only bothered them if they swam near him to much than he'd just try and grab them. I had four cichlids and he died because he climbed out of the rank and dried up. I had them together for year.

Ya, I can see all your guys stories being plausible. But the look of a blue crayfish, so awesome. I may just have to take the gamble. I mean, I would feel really bad if the cray or mbuna got hurt, I'm no Michael Vick of the fish world, but I think I'll take the chance. If worse comes to worse, if I see either or being to aggressive or signs of fighting, which may lead to death, I'll take the crayfish to my lfs.

I had a really nice red coral colored crayfish that chomped on a fish every time the lights went out in my tank.. Eventually when he molted my full size gold severum took him out.

Back
Top Bottom