Cross breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
So as I stated in an early thread I saw some cool Johannis at my LFS and I'm saving up money for 2 but the females looked pretty grey so I was wondering if I got 2 males would they crossbreed with my electric yellow cichlids and yellow finned aceis

The aceis Idk but yes your johanni could breed with the lab or even an auratus but it is frowned upon to intentionally do so

Fishguy1997 said:
Why is it frowned upon?

Because it can further degrade the lines of the fish species, especially if that hybrid gets sold as a different fish.Allot of the fish are no longer available to collect in the wild and as responsible aquarist its our responsibility to do out best to keep lines pure and healthy.

Just don't do it...if you can breed pures, (IE: Your labs) then you can allow them to spawn as much as they want and have no problem getting rid of the extra fry that you don't want. If you hybridize and keep the fry, you can spawn them maybe once before you're overstocked. If you want to experiment with hybridizing, I suggest doing it with OB Peacocks as they are already hybrids.

There is no way to prevent hybrids unless you keep a species tank, any mouthbrooding fish will and can breed with any other mouthbrooder. Even keeping fish from different genus's detures it but does not prevent hybrids, don't worry about since it's going to happen...don't let them leave the tank and there's nothing to be concerned with.

Back
Top Bottom