Crushed coal..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H3R3F1SHY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I was told that if your cichlids like to dig that you should not used crushed coral cause it could cut their mouth when they are moving it. I'm jw if anyone knows if this is true or not.

Ok so I was told that if your cichlids like to dig that you should not used crushed coral cause it could cut their mouth when they are moving it. I'm jw if anyone knows if this is true or not.

I wouldn't used crushed coral. Use sand it's better for them and looks more natural in my opinion.

I use crushed coral in a media bag to help buffer the water but I wouldn't use it as a substrate.

Ok well I'm just throwing this out there but could I lay coral then a fabric and then the Sand on top of the fabric, Or would that hold ammonia and what not?

Ok well I'm just throwing this out there but could I lay coral then a fabric and then the Sand on top of the fabric, Or would that hold ammonia and what not?

I wouldn't do it. It would most likely trap debris and then become a nitrAte garden and you don't want that. Are you wanting to use the CC for a buffer or substrate? I'd say use the sand and throw some CC in a media bag then toss it in your filter.

I just read this thread. I was going to use CC in my sand but now you have changed my mind. You think it will work best in a media bag in the baskets in my canister? How much should I use for a 100 gallon? What's a good brand?

Well it's just my opinion but yes your better off putting it in a media bag and throwing it in your HOB or canister filter. You can get a large or medium media bag, fill up enough so it will fit nicely in your canister. If you fill it up too much it won't fit.

Then just place it somewhere and forget it for a few months.

Back
Top Bottom