Curbing African aggression without overstocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am new to world of cichlids. I am interested in someday building up an African Cichlid tank. But everything I've researched so far says that you have to heavily stock the tank in order to curb aggression. I have a couple of theoretical problems with this:

1) I don't really like the look of a tank that is absolutely teaming with crowded, chaotic fish action.
2) I don't want to have to do 2-3 water changes every week just to keep the water decent for such a heavy stock.

So that leads to my big question: Is it possible to keep African Cichlids safe from each other without overcrowding the tank? Is putting in a bunch of different rock formations and caves enough?

You could also find passive fish....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I believe you can keep a species tank - 1 male and a bunch of females.

This is a good idea with either only doing a female tank or having but one male.

Hmm... Are there certain Africans that tend to be more peaceful to begin with? Maybe I should clarify. I'm happy to have a fully stocked tank. I just don't like the overcrowded look where it seems like every square inch is taken up by a fish. For example, if I had a 55 gallon and put 10 or 15 peacocks of appropriate size in there, would that be enough for the "chaos" method to start working? And more importantly, would that allow me to do a weekly water change?

Once you have a fully established tank it's possible. I had a 55 gallon with 12 Ciclids, I usually did 2 water changes a week but there were times I'd push it a week. Just make sure you don't over feed to aid in keeping nitrates down.

You could add in a school of dither fish instead of overstocking

If you look at video from Malawi, the concentration of fish is very high. Depending on the size of tank, you can approximate this look. So, about 20 to 24 in a 75 gal, tank assuming you don't go with the larger species. Once a week 50% water change will probably be enough. That "chaotic" action is one of the reasons for having this type of tank. Of course, it would still be important to mix species that get along. Some species would be a bad choice. I don't have expertise in the various Africans that typically make up this type of set up, but there are many who do on chiclid-forum.

Pseudotropheus Acei and Labidochromis caeruleus are generally a little more "peaceful." I had a mixed Malawi tank with 13 fish in a 55 for a couple years and they were all fine with each other. I added them all as juveniles over a 4 day period. The 50% water changes every 4-5 days got to be too much for me to deal with though.

I have an Oscar, jewel, JD, very small fully grown bala shark and a bristle nosed pleco in a 55 gallon ADA tank. If you give them a nice open tank front and put lots of rocks and wood at the back to keep the line of view from each other they are quite content. Minimal bickering. I like the Extra wide tanks as you can build up the back with great scape:) of course they all have little personalities and sometimes you
Get an *******
Fish. Good luck:)

Back
Top Bottom