Curing white spot - american cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polly91

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went to my lfs and the main tips he gave me was to increase the salt levels,increase the temperature and he also gave me a treatment called protozin..

He also mentioned that keeping carbon in the filter has negative effects...???

He prolly meant don't use the carbon while treating your tank. Im treating mine with jungle parasite clear and it says to remove the carbon.

Carbon will filter out any medicine in your tank. However, I don't ever use any carbon in any of my tanks.

Well what's the use of carbon?
Cause I've heard that it's useful for only a month or so and after that it has a negative effect.please explain???

I didn't realize the post I had written didn't post ( send). I , as well as others Here do not use carbon in our filters. Their only use would be to filter out meds after treatment. But alot if diseases can be treated with salt and raising temp if your aquarium ( such as ICK) but moreso with extra water changes and good quality water parameters. Stability is the key. Here is an article I googled in carbon.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquarium/carbon.php

Very helpful.
With regard to a canister Filter would would u suggest is neccessaty?Is one level of biological media enough or is it the more the better?

I use bio rings in mine . I use a very open spongy material ( like fluval has) as a pre filter. I then use wet dry filter media that I buy in bulk. 2 dif tightness of media one to catch what pre filter didn't get then a tight one to catch smallest particles. I don't use a polisher in mine. But when I did I used poly fill (like in pillows). I have 2 canisters on each of my tanks... If one goes I still have more than enough filtration. I only clean one at a time.

personally quick cure is THE treatment for Ich. Cichlids tolerate it very well. Carbon will remove all medications. Carbon is really good for removing medications after use or for removing suspected accidental poisoning agents (along with massive water changes). Carbon also tends to leach out stuff once it gets "filled up". It also takes up valuable space in a filter and develops a surface colony of nitrifying bacteria which you then remove when you replace the carbon - not so great. I prefer to fill the carbon slot in a filter with more mechanical filtration media designed to act as a substrate for bacteria as well. There is also some evidence that carbon has some detrimental effects on SA cichlids.

So increased heat and quick cure should wipe out Ich in a week or less.

Back
Top Bottom