Cycling for Cichlids (A Love Story)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mushrat79

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just seemed like a movie title to me... ANYWAY.

So, I've been cycling this tank for about 3 weeks now, and right now I'm perfect on Nitrite and Ammonia levels, right at 0, but my Nitrate levels are sitting around 40ppm. Out of the tap it sits at about 20ppm. That being said, I'm wondering if it's going to be safe to add some African Cichlids to the tank in the next week or so. The pH is sitting at about 8.2.

In case there is curiosity where the Nitrates came from, it's because the media is old. Basically, when I moved I just emptied the water from the tank and loaded it up, media and all, and after it sat in my garage for 3 months, I added water and started the cycling again. I'm sure I'll get some grief from a few people on here for doing it that way, but as much as I love my aquatic hobby, I'm also cheap haha. So, opinions? Safe for fish? Water change more and more often? Should I get a vacuum tube for the gravel?

not safe, nitrate should hang around 10-20 max. if your trates are 20 out of the tap your going to need to find a cleaner source of water.

Back
Top Bottom