Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cycling my new cichlid aquarium!

Opinions? Critiques? How can I make it better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4119475035.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	131723  

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry. It's 30 gallons. It will have a heater and an air pump as well. It will house convicts, yellow labs, powder blues, and pink convicts. I also have a zebra danio, a rosy tetra, a pleco, two water frogs, and some Cory cats that share this aquarium with the cichlids.

25 gallon reef
Old 11-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay33
Sorry. It's 30 gallons. It will have a heater and an air pump as well. It will house convicts, yellow labs, powder blues, and pink convicts. I also have a zebra danio, a rosy tetra, a pleco, two water frogs, and some Cory cats that share this aquarium with the cichlids.
Some people here will tell you don't mix Cories with African cichlids. They will become expensive feeder fish...
Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

+1 don't add them, they also have these spine things on the sides and if something eats it it could get stuck and end up killing both fish
Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mixing new and old world cichlids is a really bad idea. You'll end up with dead fish. Not only that but a 30 gal is not nearly large enough for cichlids.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay33
Opinions? Critiques? How can I make it better?
You would be looking at Lamprologus' brevis, Neolamprologus leleupi , Altolamprologus sp. "Compressiceps , brichardi, Pelvichromis pulcher, Gymnogeophagus australis , Gymnogeophagus meridionalis.

These are about the only fish suitable for a 30g tank, anything else is not suitable for a small tank like that.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djsilentchild
You would be looking at Lamprologus' brevis, Neolamprologus leleupi , Altolamprologus sp. "Compressiceps , brichardi, Pelvichromis pulcher, Gymnogeophagus australis , Gymnogeophagus meridionalis.

These are about the only fish suitable for a 30g tank, anything else is not suitable for a small tank like that.
+1 on those species. Your really limited on stocking options for cichlids in a tank that size.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys.I know the tank won't always be big enough. They're still very small right now. Still not crowded in their 20 gallons, but I'm moving them a little early just because I have the means to right now. I will replace their tank with something much larger in the future. The Cory Cats came with a different aquarium. They've been living together in their current tank for a while and seem to be okay. Survival of the zebra danio is the most surprising to me. I'm about to put him in with my guppies when I move them to something larger. I've heard not to treat cichlids water the same way I do for other species of fish because of the pH they require. Is this true? They've been okay so far, but I don't want to cause any long term problems that will result in all of my fish dying in the future.

25 gallon reef
Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ph does matter but not as much with captive breed as it does wild caught. That being said all cichlids will do better in hard alkaline water. I keep mine at 8.5-8.8 ph and between 16-22 for Kh and 12-16 for gh. Most tap water is actually already in a good range for cichlids. But if you need to raise ph u you can put some crushed coral or oyster shells in a filter bag and run in your filter. Also crushed coral sand for substrate and using limestone based rocks for scaping. For keeping my Kh up I add baking soda if it gets low but usually don't have to since I do weekly PWC. Keeping your Kh up will act as a buffer for your ph so you don't get any big swings that can kill fish.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlavassor86
Ph does matter but not as much with captive breed as it does wild caught. That being said all cichlids will do better in hard alkaline water. I keep mine at 8.5-8.8 ph and between 16-22 for Kh and 12-16 for gh. Most tap water is actually already in a good range for cichlids. But if you need to raise ph u you can put some crushed coral or oyster shells in a filter bag and run in your filter. Also crushed coral sand for substrate and using limestone based rocks for scaping. For keeping my Kh up I add baking soda if it gets low but usually don't have to since I do weekly PWC. Keeping your Kh up will act as a buffer for your ph so you don't get any big swings that can kill fish.
Thank you so much. I didn't know you could do so much with the substrate and scaping to maintain the right levels. At what temperature do you keep your cichlids? Will they eat live plants?

25 gallon reef

Tags
cichlid, cycling, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com