Cycling suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
Friend of mine picked up and 100-120 tank and set it up today. He was asking me when he can put his fish in.

My suggestion to him was to wait a month. Also he has two 30 gallon established tanks with his fish he plans to put in the new tank. So to help boost the good bacteria while cycling I told him when he does PWC form the 2 30gl tanks to put the water in the big tank. Another idea I had was to take the sponges from his HOB filter and rinse them in the big take (like tea bags).

Do you guys think that may help?
What do you suggest?

A great source of Bacteria for a new tank are plants, both rooted and floating. A large Mystery Snail would also contribute Bacteria.

First of all, is he doing a fishless or a fish in cycle? To answer your question, yes seeded media from an established tank will speed up the cycle. The cycle may take more than a month. You know you are fully cycled when ammonia and nitrites stay at zero for a few days and nitrates are present. Your friend needs a liquid test kit if he doesn't have one already.

If you have any questions on this, let me know, I'll be glad to answer and supply you with some links.

paytertot said:
First of all, is he doing a fishless or a fish in cycle? To answer your question, yes seeded media from an established tank will speed up the cycle. The cycle may take more than a month. You know you are fully cycled when ammonia and nitrites stay at zero for a few days and nitrates are present. Your friend needs a liquid test kit if he doesn't have one already.

If you have any questions on this, let me know, I'll be glad to answer and supply you with some links.

Fishless. I told he need to get a API test kit any way maintain a stable environment. He was trying to put fish in it like next week and I told him no way! At least a month.. I told him to start by getting substrate and decor to occupy his time. He's just going to have to be patient! LoL

Oh and I have told him time and time again he needs to join this forum.

Using the water isn't gonna help cycle! It doesn't have hardly any BB in it. The media will be his best bet.

I've never tested my water! I take a filter pad from an established tank, throw it in the new filter and when the water is clear I toss in the fish. I've not lost a fish yet (I'm knocking in wood as I type) lol

Lady_Alia said:
I've never tested my water! I take a filter pad from an established tank, throw it in the new filter and when the water is clear I toss in the fish. I've not lost a fish yet (I'm knocking in wood as I type) lol

O.O oh god. Lol

Lady_Alia said:

You and my buddy think the same.. LoL

Lol yeah, I figured there would be some back lash on that one lol.
Yup, I've never 'cycled' a tank. And up until recently I've never even seeded a tank. I would just fill them with water, put in the chlorine drops and drop in the fish. I've seriously never lost a fish.
Now that I know better, I'll seed a tank with a filter pad but I still just plop the fish in there...no fishless tank in this house!

I don't doubt it. Back in my starter days I would set up tanks, put the drops in and bam throw the fish in. Now that I have fish that I rather not pay to kill I try to be more careful. My buddy is just really excited and got a killer deal on this tank. I actually called him today to give him more suggestions and he had already thrown the fish in.. Less than 24 hours from the full up. We'll see how it goes.

cichlid_tank619 said:
I don't doubt it. Back in my starter days I would set up tanks, put the drops in and bam throw the fish in. Now that I have fish that I rather not pay to kill I try to be more careful. My buddy is just really excited and got a killer deal on this tank. I actually called him today to give him more suggestions and he had already thrown the fish in.. Less than 24 hours from the full up. We'll see how it goes.

If he put the fish in from the 2 30 gallons he needs to put the 2 filter cartridges in the new filter. That should be enough BB to cover the load but he still needs to check his parameters for a while.

FishyBusiness said:
If he put the fish in from the 2 30 gallons he needs to put the 2 filter cartridges in the new filter. That should be enough BB to cover the load but he still needs to check his parameters for a while.

+1 to that
Between you and his other filters I'd do a fish in cycle and stick them all in. It may not even have a cycle if your adding BB from all those tanks. Or you may just have a mini cycle right at first well that's my 2 cents lol

Back
Top Bottom