Cyphotilapia frontosa experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone have much experince with Cyphotilapia frontosa ? What can you put them with? Would they work in a malawi community? I've read that they get big and eat other fish.

I havnt had frontosa's with malawi cichlids.. but I wouldnt advise it.. the frontosas we had got huge! most malawi cichlids are far too small to be housed with them IMO.. the water perams. are actually quite different in lake Tan., if you do a little reaserch it really doesnt make sence to mix fish from diffent rift lakes..

Agreed. Various frontosa locales/morphs are everywhere here....gtreat fish, but probably best kept in a species tank...and a big one at that, as they do best in small groups, so you are looking at housing 5-7 12"-14"+ fish....most people I know have gone about 200-375G to do it properly.

I don't have any experience with frontosa, but I would love to own a harem someday. :D I've heard of people keeping 1m/3-4f in a standard 125 gallon (6 foot) tank. Is this not a good idea?

severum mama said:
I don't have any experience with frontosa, but I would love to own a harem someday. :D I've heard of people keeping 1m/3-4f in a standard 125 gallon (6 foot) tank. Is this not a good idea?

Most guys I know think that a standard 125 is a bit narrow for a group of even 1.3, and prefer 18"-20" wide tanks (so about 150 minimal).

Back
Top Bottom