Daffodil Brichardi & Julidochromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCShevalier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a fifty gallon aquarium (48" X 12" X 21") that is currently set up as a community tank, but I am hoping to take down this set up and start from scratch. I've never kept cichlids before but am excited to try something new.

I was recently at a LFS and really liked the looks of the Daffodil Brichardi. Does anyone have any advice regarding this species? Would they be compatible with the various Julidochromis species? If so, how many of each species would work in a fifty gallon?

I'd appreciate any tips on either of these species. How should the aquarium be decorated, etc.

Also, I currently have a clown pleco in the tank and was wondering if he would survive in the new set up or not.

I would be careful mixing other species with most Juli species. Julis can get pretty aggressive when breeding. I've had them damage fish 3 times their size.

I would be careful mixing other species with most Juli species. Julis can get pretty aggressive when breeding. I've had them damage fish 3 times their size.

Is there another species you would recommend as a potential tank mate for the brichardi?

You could try some of the Tanganyikan shell dwellers. They may work OK, as they tend to stay in their own areas, and shouldn't bother your julis. You'll need a sand substrate, and numerous shells for the shellies, and several caves for the julis. Arrange the tank so one side is set up for shellies, and the other end set up for julis, with some tall rock structure dividing the 2 areas to break up line of sight, and you'll probably be ok. Just watch them carefully, especially at breeding times.

Back
Top Bottom