Daffodil Brichardi (Neolamprologus Pulcher)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garrettkei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394749055.055231.jpg

Hey guys I just got this fancy pair. I've never had them before. Beautiful, elegant fins and I'm keen on their yellow eyeliner!
Likes? Dislikes? Anyone have any adult or fry photos? I hear they are great care takers of offspring.

Beautiful fish, I've kept those in the past. Not terribly aggressive, and easy to breed.

Very nice fish. Like all Tangiyikan cichlids, they need rift lake conditions. What sized tank do you have them in? How long has the tank been running? Any other fish with them?

Beautiful fish, mildly aggressive except when protecting the fry which the entire family does, from the parents through older fry. Because of this protective nature, they can quickly populate even a larger tank. As stated, they are a Tanganyikan species.

So I hear lots of things and I never know who "knows best". I found a new LFS and this person has been fish keeping cichlids for 20+ years before opening. I know of the controversy regarding mixing lakes in one tank but he was certain my Brichardi would most likely breed successfully in 1 month with the conditions of my 100 gallon tank (even with the larger mbunas around) I have all milawi fish accept my new beauties. I explained I am new to Africans but he reassured me and seemed legit.

It has only been 3 days but no other fish are bothering them... So far. I have been watching them like a hawk as I am worried about losing them. They keep to themselves around the bottom but venture out occasionally with no bullies. All fish are eating well and still have no damage to fins.

So I hear lots of things and I never know who "knows best". I found a new LFS and this person has been fish keeping cichlids for 20+ years before opening. I know of the controversy regarding mixing lakes in one tank but he was certain my Brichardi would most likely breed successfully in 1 month with the conditions of my 100 gallon tank (even with the larger mbunas around) I have all milawi fish accept my new beauties. I explained I am new to Africans but he reassured me and seemed legit.

It has only been 3 days but no other fish are bothering them... So far. I have been watching them like a hawk as I am worried about losing them. They keep to themselves around the bottom but venture out occasionally with no bullies. All fish are eating well and still have no damage to fins.

So based on my own experience of keeping these, here is the difficulty that I foresee you will face. Most likely everything will be pretty good until reproduction occurres. brichardi are egg layers, not mouth brooders like the mbuna. That means in your tank of mbuna, the Brichardi will have to lay their eggs and then defend them from being eaten. Have you ever had one of your mbuna brood and release in your tank? If you have, you know what happens to the fry. So now you'll have lots of tiny fry swimming on the bottom of your tank and two brichardi squaring off against all those mbuna attempting to protect their young. How do you think the brichardi will fair?

Well obviously you have painted a chaotic picture of ultimate fail. Would the Brichardi do well in a 30 gallon or would they need a 55? I have a 30g african setup (sand and rocks) almost cycled and no fish yet. Seems a better fit for the little beauties?

My personal experience with them is strictly in a 100gallon, although I have seen them successfully kept and reproducing in a 55, so I really can't speak from any experience here. My concern with the 30 would be their relatively high success rate and family cohesion which you wouldn't get to observe in the smaller tank as you would have to removed offspring pretty regularly. beyond that given their relatively mild temperament I would probably be tempted to try them in the 30. Hopefully someone with some more knowledge of them will jump in.

Neolamprologus Brichardi An ideal beginners tanganyikan cichlid. Can be maintained in aquariums as small as 30 gallons. Extensive colonies can be established in large aquariums with several pairs and schools of juveniles present. Each pair must have a territory of its own, such as a cave or a pile of rocks.A substrate spawner spawns of over 100 eggs are not uncommon. Larger juveniles aid the parents in defending smaller juveniles.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I'll go with the 30 then. They should be happy there. This hobby is getting very addicting. I'm already wanting another tank. I'm thinking a 30 long for the Brichardi

Back
Top Bottom