dark & bloated tummy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoles_b

Aquarium Advice Regular
My mother has established her own cichlid tank after seeing mine for 2 years. It is only 30 or 35 gallons (not sure), but it has fully cycled, I kept an eye on it for her, and she just added 2 juveniles at the most 4 days ago. Well, one of the fish's stomachs looks darkened and bloated.. I asked how often she'd been feeding and she says my father feeds them once, every other morning. I tested the water parameters, everything is good. The little guy is swimming around just fine, but I've never seen a darkened/swollen belly so I went ahead and steamed some peas, took off the shell and fed a few to him... He attacked the peas without question, but did spit a few pieces out. I will attach a picture so you guys can get an idea.. I have no clue whats wrong with him. Maybe its normal for that specific cichlid, I've never kept any that look like that, all mine were Mbunas.. and I've never had an issue with stomach bloat OR darkening of the belly. Hoping one of yall can help me help her!!!

--The pictures aren't too great, you can see the darkening of its stomach, but not the swelling. Couldn't get it to sit still long enough to get a good pic!

Other than the (possible) physical issues, the fish is swimming around and eating just fine.

Thanks guys!!!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 74
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 77
Maybe its normal for that specific cichlid, I've never kept any that look like that, all mine were Mbunas.. and I've never had an issue with stomach bloat OR darkening of the belly.

I should specify, as I'm not sure if this particular cichlid could be a mbuna or not. The only cichlids I have kept are yellow lab, albino zebra, zebra, and cobalt blue. It's been a long day at work.. :blink: sorry guys! lol

38979-albums10891-picture46717.jpg

a pic of one of the 2 that i have, the other one has a little less of that shape but generally the same.

a pic of one of the 2 that i have, the other one has a little less of that shape but generally the same.

That looks like it could be the same. But is the darkness and swelling normal?? I went and checked him out this afternoon, not so swollen and less dark after feeding the peas. Just freaked me out cuz he is still so little.

Back
Top Bottom