Dead Live Rock in FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyPhil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

I have recently purchased a Fluval Roma 200 that is going to be used for a Malawi setup. It used to be a Saltwater tank, so I have inherited about 26lbs of dead (i'm assuming as its been in a bucket for some time with no water) live rock. My question is this: I really like the look of the rock, so can I somehow clean this rock (with bleach maybe?) or prepare it for use in a freshwater setup?

If it's too much hassle i'll probably just sell it and buy other rock. I'm in the UK, so does anyone know how much I should be selling dead live rock for in the classifieds?

The tank also came with a Fluval 305 that seems to be in good condition. Obviously used in saltwater. Should I run this for a while to get any traces of salt out before using it when I'm ready to set the tank up? I may just sell it to be honest and buy a new filter.

Many thanks for your help!

I'm sure the rock will be fine to use, clean off with a brush and soak in clean water for a few days and then let it air dry. The filter can be rinse with water and will be fine to. I have some rock that was used in saltwater, I cleaned it off and soaked it in water and will be using it in a freshwater aquarium. Same with my canister filter.

Sell the used rocks. Those 26lbs will leach salt into your water. Definitely not good for your FW fish. Live rocks (and sand) are the worst things you can convert from SW to FW aquarium. I do not know much about pricing in the UK, but I would try to sell all of them for $40-50 here in the states.

Be sure to thoroughly clean the canister.

Terrance said:
Sell the used rocks. Those 26lbs will leach salt into your water. Definitely not good for your FW fish. Live rocks (and sand) are the worst things you can convert from SW to FW aquarium. I do not know much about pricing in the UK, but I would try to sell all of them for $40-50 here in the states.

Be sure to thoroughly clean the canister.

+1. Unless those filters are completely scrubbed I wouldn't use them either.

tn.jpgi have over 60lbs of ex live rock in my tank at the moment. has not hurt my fish at all. fish growing fine and have spawned a few times also. currently have fry swimming in there at this time. bumble bee cichlids

Last edited:
It won't hurt the fish if it is cleaned. Plenty of people use it in there cichlid tanks so don't worry

Thanks for the advice guys! Any recommendations on methods of cleaning?

I wouldn't put it straight into the tank without thoroughly cleaning. I know there will be dead organisms in the rock which could cause ammonia spikes. Could this be used as a benefit in assisting with fisheless cycling?

Oh, im most likely going to sell the filter. If not ill replace all of the media. But to be honest i have my mind set on two new filters, should give me a good 400 gallons rated filtration!

Rinse it off use a new stiff plastic bristle brush. Pre cycle dead live rock wont hurt your tank.

Back
Top Bottom