Decisions need to be made

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
They did it again. Our male and female Sciaenochromis Fryeri had another batch of fry. (BTW- She was previously a Mystery African, but has now been ID'd. I previously thought they may be mixed breed fry, but they are in fact full breed). Last night we QTd her and this morning she spit out 26 fry. So far all have been survivors. Her last try only resulted in 1 survivor.

So, this brings me to our situation. We now have 66 African Cichlid Fry (39 Cobalt, and 27 Fryeri). They are all crammed in a 29 gal tank. I do not have the heart to put the fry in the main tank and have them eaten. It just seems wrong to make them fish food. It seems inhumane because if you consider in the wild, the female will take the fry to seclusion and spit them out when she feels safe, in an aquarium she does not have that option. But we can not keep 66 fry in a 29 gal tank for long.

I've tried reducing the temp in the main tank to try and stop the breeding, but it hasn't helped. Apparently they will do what they want to do, no matter what I do.

Now this brings me to my predicament. I am considering breaking down my 55 gal tank to accommodate the fry. I don't really want to do it since it took me 9 months from start to finish to research and stock the tank properly. It has been successful in my opinion. I have not had any German Ram or True Rummynose Tetra fatalities, and I consider that quite a feat considering their high death rate. I just planted the tank over the weekend and am hoping that it will flourish.

The fry are actually James' and I hate to tare down MY tank for HIS fry. I know, sounds selfish. But I am out of options. I had also considered setting up all of the 10 gal tanks for the fry in addition to the 29. I would have to return the 3 Tetra's to do this, but it would allow us to keep the fry. We have 3 10 gal tanks and the 29.

What do you guys think? I am open for any and all suggestions.

They will once they are a decent size. Our oldest fry were spit out on August 14th, so they are still pretty young.

We don't have any friends that own tanks. My brother has a 55 gal tank, but I don't trust him to take them. They don't exactly follow correct stocking guidelines (mixing Bala Sharks, African Cichlids, SA Cichlids, Tetras, and Loaches) ontop of only changing water once a month or so when they feel like it.

Well i'd go with splitting them up in the 10 gallons and 30 gallon till they are bigger to give to the LFS.

I wouldn't tear down a 55gal for fry neither. Go with the 3 10gal and the 29gal and bring the three tetras back if really neccessary.

And yes, congratulations on all your fry! The fishes really seem to feel good in your tanks :wink: .

FF - Let me first say... congratulations on your new fry (and the ID finally). :)

*Disclaimer - The following suggestion in no way supports or encourages MTS.*

You have to come to the realization that you are now officially a "Breeder". With that comes accolades and the only suggestion that makes sense and allows you to have piece of mind. You need two 10 gal tanks. Just for the grow out problem and to relieve the stress from the 29 gal. Discuss this with James...you could probably stack them vertically (one under/one above) the 29 gal.

Oh the sacrifices we must make in aquaria. :wink:

I think I give them WAY too much privacy. :D

You have to come to the realization that you are now officially a "Breeder".
And it is all by pure accident. We just added two more female labs to the tank, I can only imagine if THEY also have fry. Labs and Acei's are what we are wanting to breed, too bad they don't seem to want to.

Right now we have a 10 gal tank setup next to the 29. It currently houses three Tetras and a few MTS to stir up the sand. They are Blueberry Tetras and I have never really been comfortable having them since they are dyed/injected. The lfs that we purchased them from would gladly take them back from us. They are going to be buying the fry from us when they are of a decent size. We also have another 10 gal setup on the kitchen counter (ran out of space for tanks in the living room) next to the Betta tank. I will have to recycle the filter, I tossed the pad today after I moved the fry to the 29. We could move some to the 10 gal in the kitchen, some to the 10 gal in the living room, and leave the remaining in the 29. This will help temporarily until they grow to a decent size.

I just hope we don't have any new fry additions soon. We will definately be out of space. They will have to invade the Betta. 8O

The 55 would provide plenty of space for all of the fry. They would be able to grow out in the 55 and 29 until being sold. That's why I considered it. I would just hate to get rid of my Rams after they all look so good. PLUS, after spending 3 months tracking down those True Rummynose Tetras.....

We are currently trying to purchase a house, and we are interested in one imparticular. If we would purchase that house, I am considering setting up a large tank in the basement. This is of course if our fish continue to breed like rabbits like they have been. Custom made from acrylic. And basically have it maybe 7 feet long, 18 inches wide, and 24 inches tall. Sand bottom with tons of background plants and a sump filtration. Then just have all of the fry in the tank for growout. I have seen breeders have bare tanks, but I couldn't imagine fish growing out in a bare tank. Doesn't seem to enjoyable to me. Then we would be able to have our main tank upstairs and fry tanks in the basement. It's just a thought, but I'm sure if he had something to say about it he would make it bigger and saltwater. :D

Back
Top Bottom