Demasoni holding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea they can be mixed but you want to put some live plants in there like some moss or stuff like that that's thick as the little babies are not good swimmers and will want a place I hide from the first set of babies

Babies can't be mixed if the additional ones are future siblings spat from the same mother. The age and size difference would be too great.

The elder siblings' size advantage would prove a disaster to the new fry. I've had 2.5cm-3cm fry cannibalize 1-1.5cm fry on sight. Additionally for some reason new fry don't seem to view larger fry or juvies as threats (as they do full grown fish) and don't seem to take any defensive measures. They don't stand a chance.

However, new fry from different mothers (and even different species) can be consolidated if they are near in age/size.

If you have a mother currently mouthbrooding and due to spit a in a couple of days or couple of weeks, her fry can be added to this current batch. Her fry and the existing fry would be in the same approximate size range.

It can be done. I do it all the time. Right now I have 2 different clutches from 1 ngara at different ahead and sizes and a clutch of labs. All of them different and I have lost 0
image-3039272217.jpg

image-4056949809.jpg

image-1357773007.jpg

image-3938222104.jpg

We have 14 babies :) I am getting them there own tank tomorrow

image-1443808430.jpg

image-1399851036.jpg

Be sure not to feed them until the egg sack(yellow part under their belly) is gone. As they won't eat it and it will get nasty

I got a 20 gallon today filled with my main tank water and now have my babies in :) how do i feed them when they are always hiding?

My peacock just started holding yesterday how many days before i know she is fertilized?

Just keep an eye on it. Usually when you notice them holding they are already fertile but if you can manage to get a look in her mouth if the eggs are yellow then they are fertile. If white then they are not

Unfertilized eggs go bad within 3 or 4 days and are ejected or consumed within this time frame.

Back
Top Bottom