Dempsey's fighting Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterflyKOI

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have four Jack Dempseys and 1 Red Devil in a 55 gallon tank the 3 bigger Dempseys are ganging up on the smallest one and will not let it out of the corner of the tank what should I do keep in mind the red devil has held his own and established some respect

Re-arrange the tank decor and do a small water change, see if that does anything. If not re-home the one being picked on.

Rehome probably 4 of the fish. A red devil by himself needs a bigger tank than 55 gallon.

I currently have four Jack Dempseys and 1 Red Devil in a 55 gallon tank the 3 bigger Dempseys are ganging up on the smallest one and will not let it out of the corner of the tank what should I do keep in mind the red devil has held his own and established some respect

Get a bigger tank. PERIOD. Either get a bigger tank or rehome all but ONE.

You do have way too many big fish in that tank. I got away with a mated pair of Dempsey in a 55 for a long time but even they were rough with each other. You will need to rehome some fish for sure. All of your Dempsey look male so a pair is not going to happen. I suggest you pick the one you like the best and bring the rest to the lfs for credit. Adding the red devil was the last step towards total destruction. .

You do have way too many big fish in that tank. I got away with a mated pair of Dempsey in a 55 for a long time but even they were rough with each other. You will need to rehome some fish for sure. All of your Dempsey look male so a pair is not going to happen. I suggest you pick the one you like the best and bring the rest to the lfs for credit. Adding the red devil was the last step towards total destruction. .

X2 the red devil will snap eventually and you will have 4 dead dempseys

Yep that's what's gonna happen the red devil will soon make short work of all the dempseys.

Like I said its Dempsey's fighting the red devil is not fighting the Dempseys are there fighting each other my red devil is doing nothing but swimming around and the red devil came from a lfs where it was in with common gold fish....yes I know the red devil is a bad {mod edit{ but this one is chill

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said its Dempsey's fighting the red devil is not fighting the Dempseys are there fighting each other my red devil is doing nothing but swimming around and the red devil came from a lfs where it was in with common gold fish....yes I know the red devil is a bad {mod edit{ but this one is chill

No its not. You just got it! So its going to be "chill" until it gets use to its home and starts beating the {mod edit}out of the dempseys. Just wait. You will come back whining that it killed everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will probably rehome it but this was for my j.ds not the red devil

Well ok the only way to stop the JDs is to rehome all but 1. The tanks to small unless you have 1 JD with maybe like 3 pictus cats or just a solo red devil. That's about the only 2 options you have or keep them and have all but the red devil be killed.

Back
Top Bottom