Depressed fish in 20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeZ

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will try and make this story as short as possible. Very curious if there is something I can do to fix this...

My son has a 20 gallon aquarium originally occupied by a dempsey, butterkoferi, texas cichlid, green terror and a sun cat....all juveniles, and were doing quite well together.

We recently set up a 90 gallon tank, and added these fish to it while leaving the dempsey and butterkoferi behind. Immediately following this, both fish left behind in the 20 gallon became very stressed, shy, and would never come out of their hiding spots. There were very skiddish about anyone coming near the tank, barely ate, and literally had no color to them.

These fish were removed and placed into the 90 gallon, where they immediately thrived.

Here's the kicker...

We purchased a mated pair of small salvini cichlids, who are now acting EXACTLY the same as the depressed fish. The water quality and conditions of this tank are perfect. I have no idea what's up here. I'm sure this is by far, the strangest post that anyone will read, but also hoping someone could provide some advice on how to fix this.

Looking forward to some thoughts here.

Thanks!

JoeZ said:
Will try and make this story as short as possible. Very curious if there is something I can do to fix this...

My son has a 20 gallon aquarium originally occupied by a dempsey, butterkoferi, texas cichlid, green terror and a sun cat....all juveniles, and were doing quite well together.

We recently set up a 90 gallon tank, and added these fish to it while leaving the dempsey and butterkoferi behind. Immediately following this, both fish left behind in the 20 gallon became very stressed, shy, and would never come out of their hiding spots. There were very skiddish about anyone coming near the tank, barely ate, and literally had no color to them.

These fish were removed and placed into the 90 gallon, where they immediately thrived.

Here's the kicker...

We purchased a mated pair of small salvini cichlids, who are now acting EXACTLY the same as the depressed fish. The water quality and conditions of this tank are perfect. I have no idea what's up here. I'm sure this is by far, the strangest post that anyone will read, but also hoping someone could provide some advice on how to fix this.

Looking forward to some thoughts here.

Thanks!

The first group of stressed fish probably were missing their tank mates or were worried they be chased around with the big net like the others were. The new pair are more than likely stressed from the move to a new home and may feel cramped. 20 gallons is small for salvini. They may settle down but will need a bigger tank down the road.

Once that net was put in the tank is when this started, but wouldn't think adding new fish would create the same thing. Very strange.

PS the pair of salvini are 2" each. Not sure how they could be cramped in a 20 gallon.

Salvini are shy fish. When I had them in their own tank for months they would hide whenever I walked up and would always be tucked up in the pots I had in the tank.

JoeZ said:
Once that net was put in the tank is when this started, but wouldn't think adding new fish would create the same thing. Very strange.

PS the pair of salvini are 2" each. Not sure how they could be cramped in a 20 gallon.

They may be fine in there short term but they will outgrow a 20 gal. They can grow to 9-10".

Understood. You said they were cramped. Just saying'...

@ Freak - I actually have three aquariums in my house with salvini's. All but this tank are active fish. Strange in this case though...

JoeZ said:
Understood. You said they were cramped. Just saying'...

Sorry for not being clear. Just wanted to stress that you should have a plan set up for them when they get bigger. No harm, no foul.
My salvini are polar opposites. My female is a bully and always active. The male is shy an hides most of the day. Usually only see him at feeding time.

No worries. Lol!!! Just hoping these two wake up and actually mate again. That's the reason I bought them.

JoeZ said:
No worries. Lol!!! Just hoping these two wake up and actually mate again. That's the reason I bought them.

This is my first pair of salvini but I doubt they will mate. Seems as though she is not very fond of him at all and she may kill him if he tries any funny business. They are a little over 3" now and at the rate they are going the male might not make it to 3.5". Lol.

I am seeing the opposite. The male tries to attack the female any time she pops out.

I am seeing the opposite. The male tries to attack the female any time she pops out.

I'm not sure what tank size they are in but if there's enough room I'd add in a school of dithers like Hyphessobrycon anisitsi, this will help to ease some shy fish out of hiding.

I think those would not only get the salvini's out of hiding, but I'm pretty sure the Hyphessobrycon anisitsi would wind up dead quickly. You don't think that would be the case?

JoeZ said:
I think those would not only get the salvini's out of hiding, but I'm pretty sure the Hyphessobrycon anisitsi would wind up dead quickly. You don't think that would be the case?

Nope, mine have been together for quite some time.

Attachments

• image-113176921.jpg
    image-113176921.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image-217044843.jpg
    image-217044843.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom